support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What are your party pieces?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
I'm useless when it comes to Party Pieces. Although it might sound a bit silly, I've never really played an instrument to play solo in front of over people. I tend to learn what I need to learn for the songs we perform live (although that looks as though it might be coming to an end for the time being).
It's struck me that I need to have some Sax tunes in my pocket that I can pull out as and when required. I'm not talking about complex pieces, or Jazz Standards that only 2 people in a room would know; just great melodic timeless pieces of the kind that might be suited for casual playing at the Sax shop or after a few beers at the Party etc,

What do you like to play when it comes to Party Pieces?

I tend to think the obvious ones that people like are Pink Panther and if you like tthen that kenny G tune is good. (Songbird?) Another good one is In the Mood if there are some very old folks present. Otherwise it's going to be Baker Street or that other tune.

I tend to think the obvious ones that people like are Pink Panther and if you like tthen that kenny G tune is good. (Songbird?) Another good one is In the Mood if there are some very old folks present. Otherwise it's going to be Baker Street or that other tune.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Mack The Knife

I'm hazarding a guess that that other tune you mention is the one about the misspelled chocolate bar.? The positive about this tune is that not only is the main riff well known and 'showy' enough to turn a head, the melody has enough movement and flow to be interesting. For me, although Baker Street is the 'Stairway To Heaven' of Sax Music, after the main riff, the vocal melody is a bit stagnant.

Moondance always sounds good on the Sax.

What ever you choose (there must be thousnds to try) do not pick one with a 6 bar silence in the middle. You'll just look stupid stood there tapping your foot :D

How about-

Misty

Killing Me Softly With His Song

This Masquerade - George Benson version

Stormy Weather

A couple of Beatles tunes perhaps, Yesterday, Hey Jude,

Bye Bye Blackbird - first tune I played on sax at 15 on my grandfather's Buescher True Tone alto...

Ton of stuff in Sher's Real Books and Hal Leonard's Fake Books to learn and enjoy...

Greg S.

I solve the problem by not doing any party pieces.

I'm with you there ;)

Despite using the phrase 'party piece', I've no intention of ever actually taking my Sax to a party with a view to playing it! Oh God no :) It's more an easy phrase for a set of tunes that can be kept up your sleave for random casual playing

Everyone's concept of what a party piece is is probably a bit different, but to me, I reckon to make a good party piece the tune must be

Easy to memorise and play (after a beer or two) without the need for music or a prompt
Be recognisable by the majority of people in the room, irrespective of age or musical taste
Be Lyrical
Not be too esoteric or pretentious
Be short :)

Depending which lock they use on cupboard they lock your sax in.

I’m a note player, and I can’t play any interesting tunes from memory. It can be embarrassing at times.
I can’t remember melodies very well in general - I tend to remember the harmonies and make something up.

You need tunes that don't have long rests, because in a band, when you riff, it's logical, but alone that would be weird. You have to play long notes at the end of the phrases, but that's good practice!
1. Imagine (and tons of other Beatles, which I think also cover a lot of generations).
2. Feel Like Making Love
3. Just the two of Us
4. Sunny
5. Learn piano

I’m a note player, and I can’t play any interesting tunes from memory. It can be embarrassing at times.
I can’t remember melodies very well in general - I tend to remember the harmonies and make something up.

This is an interesting point. I wonder if it just comes down to practice, or perhaps some have less of a natural capacity to develop skills in playing by ear (or indeed reading music).

I have no problems remembering melody, but I do have great problems remembering lyrics, which is annoying when I'm singing and have to rely on lyric prompts! My sight reading is limited, but improving. I can play the Sax quite well by ear. I don't seem to have a problem working out lyrical numbers. and my fingers quite easily sync into what I want to hear (not perfectly, but I don't have to hunt around for ages). My playing by ear has improved a great deal since taking up the sax, and that's had a knock on effect that my ability to pick out a melody on the piano has improved. I used to really struggle with finding a melody on the keyboard.