All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What are your opinions

SAXPA

Hi

I have just bought a tenor (yts 25) good condition to look at but obviously not been played for some time so its at the tech's for a service. I am looking to play smooth jazz/blues and have been looking at various metal MPs,have seen 3 on the junk yard an Otto link super tone master no8, a Berg Larsen 100/1 SMS, and a Soundman no 7.
I currently play alto using a selmer C** , and a Lawton no 7 ebonite,and a meyer no 5.

Q. do you think the berg would be too wide an opening and would it give me the kind of sound i'm looking for,

Q the otto link same as above

Q. anyone ever heard of the soundman.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140590899...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2657wt_1270

Thanks for your opinions and advice. cheers mick;}

jazzdoh

On the three mouthpieces you have mentioned the safer bet would be the Berg,as the modern links vary so much,due to indifferent production you could try 10 links and find one that is great, a couple that would be ok and the rest might be rubbish,this is only on modern links a not vintage.
Berg larsen tip openings also vary and often are not as open as the number suggests this especially was the case in vintage pieces,modern might be more accurate.
Don't know anything about the soundman probably a chinese import,but not sure but personally i wouldn't take the risk on that one.
If you find the Lawton tip opening on alto ok then you should be ok with these depending on what reed you use.

Brian

thomsax

Q1: If you want a mpc that plays in the same style as your alto mouthpieces I would go to a BL 3 or 2 chamber. The tip opening can work. Your alto pieces are from 0.071" to 0.081".
Q2: A link #8 is 0.110" tip opening. I don't know so much about Links. Jazz pieces you know!
Q3: Never heard of the brand.

Thomas

SAXPA

Thanks Brian am leaning more towards the berg,the soundman is from Germany but I've never heard of them before.All three finish in the auction today so will update on which if any i go for.thats as long missus doesnt find out first.....

jazzdoh

Just one more point as Thomas has said the Berg will be a bit on the bright side, 0= brightest and 3=mellow or warmest,however i had a 105/1 a few years ago and it was flexible enough for most styles.

Brian

Two Voices

Some modern links can be stuffy but Bergs are even more inconsistent in my opinion. With the big baffle on the Berg a 100 is pretty small lay.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom