support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What are you working on right now?

Account Closed
I just bought a couple of books with a 30£ windfall on Amazon UK, one being a Kenny Garrett (Hal Leonard play along) book. I'm learning two tunes off of it, Happy People and Wayne's Thang. They're both simple melodies and simple changes to play on. And they're for alto!

You?

Jamming over Green Onions, Harlem Shuffle and getting my fingers under Pick up The Pieces. All for the Band. The first two are simple and fun, the third, although reasonably straight forward, is a challenge to get up to speed. Might take a while.

Cantaloupe Island for fun. Not sure I can persuade the band to do that.

We got busy and we have no time to take a shower..
for a wedding job next week: adding Blue Bossa (Tenor) and "When Your Smiling" in the style of Eva Cassidy (vocal)
for a job the following day: adding "Precious Lord" in the style of slow traditional country (vocal) and "Alright, OK, You Win" (soprano)

• Enclosures.
Absolutely this. Such a simple idea yet melodically and creatively priceless.

getting my fingers under Pick up The Pieces.

My new band are doing this, with the arrangement based on this performance by Candy Dulfer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQQ7k30Ti4

As well as enclosures, I've finally started to take arpeggios seriously and finally practising various flavours (straight triad, dom7, 9, 13 etc.) in all keys .

Oh, and as of 10 minutes ago, I'm also starting to practise improvising without constantly scooping notes. I hadn't realised how much I do this, or how annoying it is to listen to,

Im working on tableau de provence (particularly the last movement) to gain exposure and familiarity with some standard litterature.
Im also looking at Vaclav's Dream for a recital in a month and a half.

I'm working diligently on our big band charts. We're playing at a jazz festival this Saturday and have a concert on May 9. So ...

Well You Needn't
Channel One Suite
Norwegian Wood
Young and Foolish
Josie
Won't You Be My Neighbor

I have solos on the first three.

Nothing.

Don't tell the Septet though!

Seriously, due to pressure of work in my new job and stopping my lessons back in the autumn I feel like I've lost my way.

Jx

Helping a fellow band member get his head round the baritone part of I've Got You Under My Skin, which we are currently rehearsing... it's at the point where i may pick that one up when we perform it.

For gits and shiggles, at home, i'm playing Need Your Love So Bad (working at this with the fragrant one on clarinet, me on alto), Pure Imagination (from the Hal Leonard Jazz Playalong book), and having a good laugh with the Jamey Aebersold 'Feelin Good Blues in B3' and working on my improv therein.

Bright Eyes on soprano, La Vie En Rose on tenor.
Beginning to write an arrangement of Lily The Pink for wind ensemble, thinking of having a go at Libiamo (from La Traviata) aka 'Brindisi' for same.

Herbie Hancock: Cantaloupe Island on Tenor, playalong in Dux Sax Plus Volume 7. The exact playlong including score is on youtube. While the song itself is not that difficult, sequences of the notated solo are way to fast for me with a short break of 1/64th. That will take some time....

Cantaloupe Island

Alphorn

I’m waiting for the playlist for next term’s Play More Jazz course at the Jazz Co-op in Newcastle. Over 10 weekly sessions we’ll learn and rehearse 6-7 numbers in various styles before performing them at a free gig in The Globe. As an illustration here’s the set list for last term:
Perdido
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
Stella by Starlight
Straight No Chaser
Body and Soul
So What

We also tried to include Au Privave but felt it was stretching some of us too much!

I'm also trying to redo tunes I played on guitar and sang. I know one thing, it's much easier to sing playing saxophone (not at the same time!). I mean concentrate on the singing, then play a solo on the sax.

Nothing.

Seriously, due to pressure of work in my new job and stopping my lessons back in the autumn I feel like I've lost my way.

Jx
You need to find a way,. Says he that managing to play for around an hour a week

Nothing.

Jx

I'm a great assistant. You tell what to do and I'll do it. That will relieve some of your stress and load..
Then, you can focus on the important stuff (sax love)..

Back
Top Bottom