support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

what are you playing?

chris wind

Okay, so I thought I'd start a thread called "What music are you playing?" to mirror "What are you listening to?" since I couldn't find a thread that talks about what music people are playing, what scores they're discovering and adding to their repertoires...

And, so, here's the announcement I mentioned in the Doorbell forum...

I'd like to invite everyone to visit my newly completed site - www.chriswind.com - at which you'll find three pieces for solo sax that I've composed - they're new age/classical crossover - the first one's performed to a background of rain (though it could be played pure), the second is actually a duet with wolves, and the third one's a duet with loons.

You can listen to the pieces at the site, and download them (for free) if you like. They're on the "Ruby Rose" album. The backgrounds are also available there for download, and you can get the scores directly from me (eventually I'll transfer them to Finale and post them at my site, but that'll be a while...).

People might also be interested in the "Paintings" - a series of electronic backgrounds composed especially for foregrounds of improvisation by any solo acoustic instrument. Again, the backgrounds are available for download at my site for those who want to try them out!

Enjoy!

chris wind
chriswind@zworg.com
www.chriswind.com

Very atmospheric Chris, nice one and nice idea, when I have more time I'll listen to the complete pieces, but what I did hear sounded interesting.

Nice to see someone composing for the saxophone that isn't trying to prove a point.

As you asked, I am presently playing "Bewitched" trying to emulate Houston Person. Got the tune 'cos I got the music, but the phrasing is a bit harder.
Had a listen to your creations - good for meditating, but don't do enough of that unfortunately!
Oh, and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get your questions answered, and your advice will be equally valuable.
Regards

Hi Chris,
Sounds good. Always looking for new sounds to improvise with/over/against.
Playing at the moment?
In a silent way. Zawinul.
A Rocky Place. Stan Sultzmann.
Extrapolation. John Mclaughlin.(This is doing my head in and my wife is threatening to leave).
Hey ho
Andrew

Hi there- really interesting stuff...
playing-
scourging a multi CD boxed set of illinois Jacquet and trying to pick up as many of his riffs as possible..

Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph. I pulled this one out while busking yesterday and it was surprising how many people stopped to grin. Haven't got it all down yet, but can squawk out the first two parts.

The best response came from one cheeky fellow who asked me the following question with a really puzzled look on his face

"It's the Benny Hill theme, isn't it? Why aren't the ladies running around without their tops?"

Good site Chris, I'll pop back in when I've got more time.

Playing now? Groovin' High, Summer Samba, plus quite a few flute pieces for fun.

Phil

As you asked, I am presently playing "Bewitched" trying to emulate Houston Person. Got the tune 'cos I got the music, but the phrasing is a bit harder.

Regards

There's a nice backing track to Bewitched on www.jazzbacks.com, also a guide track. Over the last few months, I've been working on a bunch of stuff from them, with the idea of putting together a solo act to play in restaurants, etc.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to invite everyone to visit my newly completed site - www.chriswind.com - at which you'll find three pieces for solo sax that I've composed - they're new age/classical crossover - the first one's performed to a background of rain

Enjoy!

chris wind
chriswind@zworg.com
www.chriswind.com

Hi Chris,

Just been listenning to your sax'n'rain, whilst tropical rain falls heavily outside....couldn't quite make out which was on the track and which was reality!

Enjoyed it though...very tranquil.

Makes me think of last Sunday when a friend and I were practicing in my tin roofed workshop...the rain hammering...made a (amateurish) recording...our work didn't sound quite as haunting as yours though...

Cheers,
Martin

Hi i am playing "is you is or is you aint my baby" and making a solo up of 8 bars its in the jazz grade one book:sax: I have just had a go at Santa Lucia thats on you tube .....romeo011 cheers tom.

There's a nice backing track to Bewitched on www.jazzbacks.com, also a guide track. Over the last few months, I've been working on a bunch of stuff from them, with the idea of putting together a solo act to play in restaurants, etc.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I'll check it out;}

Guns of Navarone, Gangsters, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Blue Trane, Minor Chant :w00t: (Grade 3-5 trombone pieces).

I'm playing the Pink Panther theme (I'm trying to learn to play it from memory!) and All is Well from the ABRSM Jazz grade 3 tunes.

I'm going to start going through more of the grade 3 tunes now, prior to deciding which ones I want to do in the exam!

Skylark, Polka dots and moonbeams, and also hacking away at the first couple of lines of Bozza's Aria. Getting really frustrated with reeds which can be brilliant one day and then crap the next, Let them rest for a couple of days and they are brilliant again. Arrggghh!
Chad

What is your system for looking after your reeds - it may need a change in order to take the anomaly out of your experience.

Happy honking!:w00t:
Tom:cool:

Generally I just wet the reed first, by putting in my mouth, whilst I assemble the rest of the sax. Play for around an hour each night ( when I am able ), then dry the reed off with a cloth before putting it back into its holder. Then dry off the sax and put it all in the case until the next time.

Cheers
Chad

Getting really frustrated with reeds which can be brilliant one day and then crap the next, Let them rest for a couple of days and they are brilliant again. Arrggghh!
Chad

Having the same problem, and I thought it was me! Good, now I can blame the reeds:D

I'm playing a few things at the moment.

I'm trying out All Blues as a possibility for one of my grade 3 tunes - and really enjoying it!!! It's much shorter than the version on the Kind of Blue album, but I'm enjoying listening to that too.

I'm trying to learn to play an extract from Ravel's Bolero without looking at the music - I think that's annoying the wife a lot as I go wrong quite often!!

I've also got 5 pieces for the Christmas concert for the orchestra I'm in to practice. Only 2 carols there though!!!

Hi Nick!

I did All Blues for my Grade 4 trumpet exam (with Harmon mute!) - good piece indeed.

Currently I'm doing Grade 3 pieces on trombone - Minor Chant, Cantaloupe Island, and August One, which sound really good on it.
Otherwise working my way through various Specials numbers, and some other ska classics. What I have become increasingly aware of is how/why certain pieces sound better (to my mind!) on different instruments. On trombone I do like more Afro-Cuban & Latin sounds, or music which is a bit more proclamatory.

Anyway, back to the studio for another blast.
Tom :w00t: