What are you listening to (plus reviews)

Pete Effamy

Saw this on the other forum but thought I would post here.
Love this arrangement.

View: https://youtu.be/M6-XvjfqFSk
I love the playing, but I find the whole thing really strange. Was Bob asked to provide a solo over the big band? It just doesn't work for me. It starts with a rhythmic motif, which is way too busy to want a solo over the top of it, and then the band is really full with melodic lines and there's still a solo over it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Fantastic playing though.

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
YouTube jazz music anomaly: 2355 views, 220 thumbs up, 0 thumbs down. Positive comments. Nearly all jazz on youtube has thumbs down, from Bill Evans, to Trane, to Sonny.
Equinox : 17,547,220 views 81,0000 thumbs up, 2,000 thumbs down.

I guess what's not to like is that arrangers gonna arrange. No question it's dense, but I admire all of it, from the arrangement to the execution. It's creative, doesn't sound like the Brecker Brothers or Snarky puppy. Pretty cool. The chart is available, too.
@jazzdoh thanks for posting it!

Zugzwang

Subscriber
I love the playing, but I find the whole thing really strange. Was Bob asked to provide a solo over the big band? It just doesn't work for me. It starts with a rhythmic motif, which is way too busy to want a solo over the top of it, and then the band is really full with melodic lines and there's still a solo over it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Fantastic playing though.
It's Bob's song. Check out his Guitar Band version - will make more sense.

jazzdoh

I sort of get where your coming from, but it worked for me.
As Zugzwang says its Bobs song and Drew Zaremba did this arrangement, there is a version that Bob did with John Meyer and also a version that Bob did with his own quartet.

Pete Effamy

In the spirit of bringing new names, let me try one for starters - Stefano di Battista. Wonderful player with bags of control and a great sound. I suspect that the Italian members of this site will know of him already. He has done some nice work with Sylvain Luc.

Italy has some tremendous players. Trumpet and flugelhorn player Paolo Fresu has a sound that makes me wonder why I never took up the trumpet. What a tremendous player., one of my all-time favourites. I came across him via the accordion player Richard Galliano - himself a tremendous player - in the trio Mare Nostrum.

One more - The Rodgarband. No so off the beaten track. Latin Big Band, with a few big names like Chuck Findlay and Tom Scott. 2nd trumpet and flugelhorn here is, again, a phenomenal musician and player.

So, four offerings slightly off the beaten track

Stefano:
View: https://youtu.be/4GpolaEN4y0

Mare Nostrum - musicality off the scale
View: https://youtu.be/_fmSlo7z45I

The Rodgarband - two offerings. The first is a lovely ballad with Arturo Solar on the sweetest flugelhorn you ever hear (subjective I know...) with a terrific solo and negotiation of the changes. The second is a great big band offering with a great 'bone solo and such a restrained solo from Chuck Findlay. I love Arturo Solar's face at the 'bone and trumpet solos - like a kid in a sweet shop!
View: https://youtu.be/w8I6ypXRDp0

View: https://youtu.be/ajzU8OIoQ3k

Last edited:

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
And for the guitar lovers, two more: Vincente Amigo and Jimmy Rosenburg. There are a few in the Rosenburg and they all play rather well. Jimmy plays even better.
Nothing more emotive and heart rending than a beautifully played classical Guitar!

I love me a bit of Jazz Manouche as well, but unfortunately your Rosenburg video is Kaput!

Hipparion

Speaking of Di Battista, my favorite of all time (from him) is his album A Prima Vista... but that may be related to the fact that I saw him perform the whole thing live (he was actually 3m away).
He (and Flavio Boltro) played with Petrucciani : e.g., Both World. (I saw that live too, and that was something !)

Hipparion

I would love so much to see her play a duo with Rossfelder...

As for me, following some part of the musical culture in here, I have discovered not only the Mnozil Brass Band (these guys are insanely good) but also the crazyness of the Guča festival (Serbian brass festival).

Still following the brass I went lately into a completely different direction - much closer to home - with Ibrahim Maalouf.
Apparently there is some hypnosis at play : I can't stop listening to him.
(If you play the trumpet, you may find difficult to play like this : his trumpet is apparently a special model made for him specifically to play this kind of music.)

But that's just for the brass...

Tutorials
Top Bottom