support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories What accessories does a beginner really need?

Saahil

Hello everybody,

As per my introduction thread, I've made an impulse purchase on a Jupiter JAS-769-767 Alto Saxophone.

Now the Saxophone just comes with a mouthpiece and hard case so at the very least I'm going to need to get myself a hat. I understand it's a requirement to play the Saxophone that one must be wearing a hat?

On a more serious note, I could really use a bit of input into what is actually genuinely required for a beginner.

1) Case of some description (check)
2) A teacher (check)
3) A saxophone (check)
4) A mouthpiece (check with notes)
5) Reeds.
6) Cleaning pull through thing.
7) Display stand

Now for the first 4 items, I have found suitable things so they can be checked off the list as "got". The question I do have is with reference to the others.

4) Will whatever mouthpiece that originally came with the Sax be sufficient? I understand it's an advanced beginner Sax and I'm a total beginner so would it do for the time being? Or should I spend a bit on say a Yamaha 4C?

5) I understand at this stage any "soft" reed would do, something like a strength 2 Rico?

6) Again, a basic pull through cleaning thingy (very technical, I know) would do the job here yes?

7) Not sure a stand is really necessary, but might prompt me to play the thing more if I can see it every single day in front of me. At least that's my logic.

Apologies for the essay again.

Looking forward to your thoughts, and whether I've missed anything.

Jupiters are good horns but like all of them........they have to sit somewhere! Get a Hercules stand or find a couple on eBay or shop around or something! ££5 - £40 a stand can cost! So if you are not sure come back and ask.

Re the mouthpiece. I started on a Jupiter 500. I couldn't fault it as a beginners sax. Your 700 should be an intermediate sax.

The mouthpiece that came with my 500 was of little use. My teacher loaned me a Selmer C* after 2 weeks and I've never looked back! Mind you, they are a little expensive to just buy on the off chance that you'll keep playing, but they are very re-sellable!

If you wanted something a little cheaper, a Yamaha 4C or 5C would probably fit the bill.

No doubt there will be as many opinions on mouthpieces as there are cafe members, but IMHO these 2 are middle of the range easily blow able pieces.

Ahh shades! I forgot shades!!

The thing comes with a strap, but it's a neck strap. Not sure if I'll need a harness with an Alto?

Cork crease didn't think about, any particular brands or all good?

Stand for music, guess i'll need some music too then? Is this just a case of stable high surface so all much of a muchness?

Sax stand, thanks for the tip, I'll find a suitable stand, Hercules brand.

Re the mouthpieces, I can only find a Tenor 4C in the yard sale unless i'm missing a thread?

With a 4C vs 5C thing, what's better to start with? If I've understood this, the higher the number the "warmer" and "mellower" the noise?

Don't forget a sax sling/strap, cork grease and a stand to put your music on.
Ooops sorry Pauline...a music stand, yes you are very correct!

Saahil you will need a music stand as well. Cork grease is like lipstick, just a little tube. Would suggest a Yamaha 5C...standard starting size, good little mpc.

You should also look at "Taming the Saxophone" - look at the tag at the top of this page. Great stuff on there for beginners. Invaluable in fact!

Tis indeed a very good website.

I trawled it quite a bit before I joined the forum actually. Great advice and lots of informative articles. Could spend literally hours and hours reading it.

I think I've found a suitable stand. A Hercules DS530BB which is just under £20 including postage. Looks like it will do the job just fine.

1 Rico 2 reed and cork grease stick on order too.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably a good idea for me to get my sax to a service shop when I get it to check it over?

Take it to your teacher and she will tell you if it needs tweaking. Might be OK you never know. There are lots of things to spend money on but I would suggest spend a little time learning how the sax works, how to pick it up, clean it, etc. All info available on here or just Google.

Last edited:
Wise words prof,

I'll hold off for the time being then until it's in my hand and I know what it's like.

The seller has a great reputation + feedback so it may well be spot on.

There's nothing wrong with the Jupiter 4c mouthpiece that I presume came with your sax. I've got one here in front of me and it's fine. As above a 2 reed should be okay for starters, in fact you may never ever need to go to a harder reed.

P.S. just noticed you haven't actually got the sax yet. It should come with a "pull through thingy", a sling, cork grease and if your dealer's a nice guy you might find he's thrown in a couple of reeds for starters. Apart from that like the Prof has said - a solid stand and a good teacher. Have fun.

Don't forget a sax sling/strap, cork grease and a stand to put your music on.
As spike said, it is likely to be in the case, but this is an essential piece.
I know someone with two of them in the case, brown and black leather, to match the colour of belt and shoes.
Also get the habit of putting it around your neck before assembling the horn.
7) Not sure a stand is really necessary, but might prompt me to play the thing more if I can see it every single day in front of me. At least that's my logic.

I use the same logic, and it works.
Wives, children, dogs can be a hazard for your defenceless standing saxophone.
I brilliantly avoided any possible problem with an appropriate moral conduct, but beware that saxophones are quite delicate. Not to mention reeds, including the ones you will break yourself against your left shoulder (you will find out when it happens).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom