support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What about a "Blues of the Month" (one key per month) ?

Idea not dead but I did get a bit put off by the deviation the thread took. Maybe a mod could remove the irrelevant stuff into a thread or receptacle of its own.

I think we should do the "Blues Key of the Month" and maybe it would be good to start with a "sax friendly" key in January 2016. Then by the end of 2016 we would have been through all the keys and all be superb blues players for every occasion.

I'm not sure whether we have a consensus for the format it will take. Can I suggest we do have a "host" for each month who chooses the concert key (from those remaining), encourages people as much or as little as they want to and can provide material (backing tracks, helpful hints, examples) as much or as little as they want.

Any suggestions for improving that approach ?

Any volunteers for "host of the month" for the first few sessions ?

Rhys

I like the idea.

- Blues concept is wide. All sorts of blues as long as it's in the right keys? We want players to post on regular basis? It's more likely that we will have more players to post if it's "open"?
- Just one backing track/month? Or is it better that players use thier own backing tracks?
- Major or/and Minor?
- Play the melody, or a solo over some bars, playing an easy (or more advanced) backing "licks, riff, fillings ... .

I think we need some persons to help to get feedback. Not just one. If it's not possible as BOTM, IOTH, BR or SOTM, we can have the project rolling at this place?

I have some recordings that we can use. But you should keep in mind that I'm a Rocksax person ... !!!!!

Guys you decide the format let me know if I can do anything to help?

Jx

How about keeping it simple and having a Blues Category under "Your sound clips". Folks could post their blues recordings at whatever tempo, key, style, tonality (major or minor) they like. Everything doesn't have to be regimented with everyone playing the same thing at the same time in "lockstep". I feel like sometimes things get a bit too "organized" and "structured" on websites.

I don't think it needs that much organising. Those who can create their own tracks can if they so wish, the only criteria is that it's in the right key, while those who can't use a track created for that month's key.

If BIAB is as good and automated as people say, then it should be easy to do.

I'll ask Pete about a blues sub forum but as he is touring at the moment it may have to wait :)

Jx

Thanks J.

Definitely one thread per key (and so one per month).

It would work fine without a host.

Rhys

I agree. One reason I don't like to host anymore is I don't enjoy the responsibility of finding somebody to take over for the following month.

What's actually involved in being the host?

I may be naive here, but as long as there's a backing track each month it will work?

What's actually involved in being the host?

I may be naive here, but as long as there's a backing track each month it will work?

Normally when you host a monthly tune, on this board and others, you pick the song that fits the catagory. Provide the dots for the song, provide or give links to back tracks for people to use. Chris does a lot of the work for you here if asked. Then when the month is closing, you scare up the next host.

How about keeping it simple and having a Blues Category under "Your sound clips". Folks could post their blues recordings at whatever tempo, key, style, tonality (major or minor) they like. Everything doesn't have to be regimented with everyone playing the same thing at the same time in "lockstep". I feel like sometimes things get a bit too "organized" and "structured" on websites.

Agree. We don't need a host. Play your blues song and post it. Share your backing tracks and charts (if it's ok). And keep it simple so more players can post. You don't need studio equipment to record your blues. Play and have fun. Start January 2016 with concert C or Am?

I agree, name a key and anyone that wants to participate post a blues in that key. No master backing or tune provided. BYOB(Bring your own backing) We should end up with quite the variety of blues each month from rockin to jazz to soul/etc depending which style we each enjoy playing in, with only the key in common. Works on paper. ;)

Last edited:
I have some recordings that we can use. But you should keep in mind that I'm a Rocksax person ... !!!!!

Rocksax is good. Rough and soulful and in guitar keys should help shake things up.

Rhys

Agree. We don't need a host. Play your blues song and post it. Share your backing tracks and charts (if it's ok). And keep it simple so more players can post. You don't need studio equipment to record your blues. Play and have fun. Start January 2016 with concert C or Am?

OK let's kick it off in concert C major / A minor.

But we could start with a "double month" to refine the process and give people a chance to record over the holiday period and on into January 2016.

There are some lists on line of blues tunes / heads in different keys and there are quite a few in the right keys for the first month.

C Major
  • C Jam Blues
  • Cheryl
  • Relaxin’ At Camarillo
  • Mustang Sally
  • Turnaround
  • Perhaps
Any good suggestions for A minor blues heads ?

Rhys

Some blues songs in Am

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Whiters
The Thrill Is Gone - B B King (a studio version is in concert B as well, but the song is often played in Am)
Unchain My Heart - Joe Cocker

Here is a slow blues in C major. Pete Andersen Home - Pete Anderson is the man behind the song. We use to play this song at our Andrew Clark Rocksax meetings. As a warm-up, playing a solo ... . No lyrics just play or find a song that that fits!?!?!

You can download the backing track here: Guitar Center - Guitar Center's Battle of the Blues 2012
Last November it was ok to use the tracks but you should mention Pete Andresens name. And maybe buy a CD? Great music.

This is what Pete Andersen says about his song " Country Slow Blues ":

"This is in its most simple form with breaks in the key of C. When we first started playing blues this was and is..."SLOW BLUE IN C".. that's what we would call out on the band stand...kick it from the V. It's got some nice breaks and just enough time to say what you have to say then get on home before daybreak..."

This 12 bar blues starts with an intro

G7 - F7 - C7 - Ab7 to G7

First chorus is with "quick four"

C7 - F7 - C7 - C7
F7 - F7 - C7 - C7
G7 - F7 - C7 - Ab7 to G7

Second chorus is regular 12 bar blues with no "quick four" in second measure

C7 - C7 - C7 - C7
F7 - F7 - C7 - C7
G7 - F7 - C7 - Ab7 to G7

Chorus with breaks is regular 12 bar with no "quick four"

C7 - C7 - C7 - C7
F7 - F7 - C7 - C7
G7 - F7 - C7 - Ab7 to G7

Last chorus is back to the "quick four" progression

C7 - F7 - C7 - C7
F7 - F7 - C7 - C7
G7 - F7 - C7 - Ab7 to G7

I'm comfortable playing the blues in any key so long as its F. ;)

Just finalising details for this and I need some advice.

First month's key is concert C major. Should we stick with the major key or should we also cover minor blues in the same month ? And if we do minor blues should it be A minor blues or C minor blues ?

Rhys

Lets go for concert C major.

I thought about the relative keys. C major (c,d,e,f,g,a,h) and A minor (a,h,c,d,e,f,g) have the same key signature. But lets keep it to concert C major.

Back
Top Bottom