Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

What about a "Blues of the Month" (one key per month) ?

rhysonsax

I have been enjoying the Ballad of the Month and Song of the Month topics a lot and Chris' Blues thread is also working well.

It occurred to me that there are 12 months in the year and 12 keys - we could start up a "Blues of the Month" topic and by the end of the year we would have covered all the keys !

There are various ways it could work - for instance we could decide the key of the month in advance and then let anyone who wants to contribute, find their own backing track in that month's key. That would mean a mixture of slow, fast, shuffle, rock, etc and different heads or no head at all. That wouldn't even need a "host of the month" to choose a tune or provide the backing track - it would practically run itself.

Alternatively the host of the month could pick from the remaining keys, post a backing track and some dots and then encourage/cajole people just as on the Ballad threads.

What do you think ?

Rhys

PS We could even get some nice blues vocals too.

thomsax

There are various ways it could work - for instance we could decide the key of the month in advance and then let anyone who wants to contribute, find their own backing track in that month's key. That would mean a mixture of slow, fast, shuffle, rock, etc and different heads or no head at all. That wouldn't even need a "host of the month" to choose a tune or provide the backing track - it would practically run itself.

What do you think ?

Rhys

PS We could even get some nice blues vocals too.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

jimmylh

You could start in concert C and progress from there. Great exercise. I also like the idea of using your own back track of choice. Keeps the interest going. For those that don't have the resources, folks could upload their back tracks for others to use if they wish. Keeping in mind of copyrights of course.

Last edited:

jimmylh

Of course, there is one small fly in the ointment - someone has to either find backing tracks that can be used, or create them from scratch.
Right, that's why I was saying that others can upload the tracks they used for those that cannot create their own or find some public domain ones. I'm wondering if some structure might be needed. Like staying in a 12 bar I IV V blues. I've heard a lot of "blues" songs that don't sound very bluesy to me.

A designated someone could also upload a generic BIAB each month for those who need a track. Takes like five minutes or less to produce one. Even less time after the track has been made. All one has to do is bring up the last .mgu file and select the next key needed off the menu. Instant new track.

Last edited:

jbtsax

Subscriber
I would be interested in helping with the backing tracks if this thread gets started. I have enjoyed the blues thread, but would like to have a major blues at a moderate tempo once in a while too.

thomsax

I like the idea of having recodings in differnt styles in the same key. Jazz-, Rock-, Delta-, Country-, Chicago- Texas-, Memphis-, New Orleans-blues ...... . I really like the idea. Everyone that post must be able to share the backing track or say where the backingtracks can be downloaded. I don't think you can share recordings without paying or have permission to share the backingtracks. Maybe we could add the minor key as well. So if we start in concert C we could also play/learn Am as well?

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Idea not dead but I did get a bit put off by the deviation the thread took. Maybe a mod could remove the irrelevant stuff into a thread or receptacle of its own.

I think we should do the "Blues Key of the Month" and maybe it would be good to start with a "sax friendly" key in January 2016. Then by the end of 2016 we would have been through all the keys and all be superb blues players for every occasion.

I'm not sure whether we have a consensus for the format it will take. Can I suggest we do have a "host" for each month who chooses the concert key (from those remaining), encourages people as much or as little as they want to and can provide material (backing tracks, helpful hints, examples) as much or as little as they want.

Any suggestions for improving that approach ?

Any volunteers for "host of the month" for the first few sessions ?

Rhys

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I'll tidy thread later from PC.

Might be best with a new thread for each month, easier to add to if anyone is late?

Jx

jimmylh

I'm not sure whether we have a consensus for the format it will take. Can I suggest we do have a "host" for each month who chooses the concert key (from those remaining), encourages people as much or as little as they want to and can provide material (backing tracks, helpful hints, examples) as much or as little as they want.

Any suggestions for improving that approach ?

Any volunteers for "host of the month" for the first few sessions ?

Rhys
I think needing a host each month is a damper. It's hard enough to find people to do the other two.

Am I going senile? Don't we have a blues thread already? Those two questions are not mutually exclusive
If you are talking about the thread I'm thinking of, you were supposed to use the back track provided to participate.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom