All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

What’s the use in having two tenors?

Jimmymack

I currently have two tenors, have done for years, one I play all the time the other only occasionally or when the main one is in the shop. I have finally come to the conclusion that this is a waste, of space and a good horn that somebody could be playing so am planning on selling tenor two. Despite my new awareness of the pointlessness of having two horns of the same dimensions I feel the urge to buy another backup and keep scanning the used horn market. What do you think about having two tenors when you really only need one?

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
The thing I don't get is....if you have gone thru the thought process that having a #2 is really quite a waste ...why are you thinking of buying another sax of the same voice....after selling #2 ?

The logic fails at that point.

Unless you just admit to yourself you are having a bit of GAS and wanna try a different model horn and are gonna use the proceeds from current #2 to buy a 'new' #2.....which.... nothing wrong with that.

As noted by others, it can be worthless until you need it.

Some people keep a second solely for that purpose. Some keep one because it has sentimental value...it was the horn they developed on, etc.
Some keep multiples because, fact is, there's such a wonderful variance in saxophones that oftentimes one model does NOT have the same attributes of another (tonality, blowing response, intonation, key action, cojones, mojo, etc), and the attributes of both are attractive and desirable to the player.

Jimmymack

....it gives you the opportunity to pat yourself on the back for not owning 3.....

I came close to that recently but number two was still going to have to go. My first horn is a Super 20, the second a Keilwerth SX90R, after the Super 20 the Keilwerth feels huge and heavy and takes a fair bit of adjusting to and so isn’t much pleasure to play, it’s a good horn but I’ve grown away from it. I’m thinking of looking for another King, specifically a Zephyr, in the hope that I won’t have to go through the process of adjustment but they are harder to come by than I expected. I’ve tried the one at Headwind and rejected it for various reasons and it’s too difficult for me to get to try Brian’s Silversonic. I don’t deny that GAS may have some part in this and that’s also one of the reasons I asked the question.

MarkSax

There are 3 sax tones and feeling under the fingers that significantly differ from the rest. Vintage USA, French Selmer and Buffet and Japanese Yamaha and Yanagisawa. They sound different to me so I have an SA2, a Comm3 and a TW01 that I rotate according to my mood.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
If you don’t much enjoy playing your Keilwerth, then it makes sense to replace it with something that you will enjoy playing.

Personally I would get something that is a bit different from my main horn, just for variety, but if you are a King person through and through, then another King seems logical.

Of, course you don’t need it. But if you can afford it and it gives you pleasure, then why not?

Jimmymack

I'm not wholly committed to King although I do like American horns and lean towards vintage. I've been looking at a Trevor James RAW Signature that they have in Howarth but that's partly due to their convenient location and the fact that the Zephyr they have is overpriced in my estimation.

Jimmymack

That would do if I can find a decent one, I was offered one recently that looked and played like a bag of scrap metal, or a Buescher, I used to have a Buescher alto I liked very much, or Martin, I remember a very nice one I tried, and almost bought, before I found the S20.

Alphorn

What‘s the role of logic here? If I would follow logic I would sell my third alto and won‘t be looking at sax ads. As it happens a new used alto is on its way. At least I can recycle the packaging to send out horn number 3 when it is sold. Isn‘t that a fine excuse for buying yet another sax?

Alphorn

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I'd have thought that if you're regularly gigging (I know, not applicable in these C19 times) then a spare is a must. I have 2 spare tenors - my old regular gigging Keilwerth EX90 which I bought in 1992 and a MkVII that I got last year. But, while the Keilwerth Shadow keeps working, they don't get played an awful lot.

brianr

I came close to that recently but number two was still going to have to go. My first horn is a Super 20,

I’m thinking of looking for another King,

I’ve tried the one at Headwind and rejected it for various reasons and it’s too difficult for me to get to try Brian’s Silversonic.
It’s still here.....

Ive attached a little label to it with your name on it ........
Ive just written in pencil, as you are not certain, but this can be changed to ink very easily.

A Silversonic is, of course, the only sax you will ever need.

Jimmymack

It’s still here.....

Ive attached a little label to it with your name on it ........
Ive just written in pencil, as you are not certain, but this can be changed to ink very easily.

A Silversonic is, of course, the only sax you will ever need.
You never know. I don't understand why you haven't sold this, must be the times we live in.

Top Bottom