All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Beginner Wet table on the Mouthpiece after playing

George

Is it normal for the table on the mouthpiece to be wet about 1/3 of the way up the table?

I have noticed recently that the table is wet about 1/3 away from the tip, when I take it off after practicing for about 30 to 60 minutes. Is this normal, or perhaps the table is not completely flat, or the ligature is not tight enough. I was using a Rovner lig. It was well tightened with a slight back off.

I tried to sight along the table at eye level and I think I see it flat at the sax end of the table and a slight rise on the table from one side of the lig to the other side near the tip side of the table. Kind of like a slight twist.

George

Justin Chune

A simple way to test a mouthpiece table is to wet the table and then hold it against a piece of plate glass. It should grip like a magnet if its OK. Keep a hold of the mouthpiece at all times.

Jim.

Justin Chune

When I had a similar, but worse problem with my baritone I had water passing passing the length of the reed and dripping all over me. I solved this by applying a smear of cork grease to the mouthpiece table and it worked like a charm.

Jim.

Morgan Fry

It really shouldn't do this. First, try a different ligature -- the Rovner might be to blame, they don't always hold the reed securely. Easy easy to check if your table its flat is to set it on something flat (really flat, like mirror out a piece of granite worktop) and hold out up too the light. The facing curve should be about an inch or less. If it seems to extend past the window, there's your problem, the table isn't flat.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

1954pip

excuse me being a bit dim but i thought the reed did not need to be to tightly held, (runs for cover) mine also leaks some times it used to leak from the cork but i have replaced the cork and nomore leaks from there,but like i say some times for the side of reed
cheers
pip

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
excuse me being a bit dim but i thought the reed did not need to be to tightly held, (runs for cover) mine also leaks some times it used to leak from the cork but i have replaced the cork and nomore leaks from there,but like i say some times for the side of reed
cheers
pip
Good one!

Hopefully the experts will chime in. To me it's a bit confusing.

There are those who say ligs don't affect sound, and those who say they do. The ones who say that ligs affect sound also seem to say only tighten as much as you need to hold the reed in place, no more. But then others say this gies a loose reed that moves when you're playing or catch the mouthpiece. Another issue is that if the lig is loose, you get more squeaks.

Would love a good clear informed answer to this...

TomMapfumo

I have to say that I thought that the title was advice, as a way of winding down after playing........:shocked::w00t:;}!

I wet my reeds before playing so the table is wet before and after playing. It is a curious issue regarding ligatures as some do suggest not overtightening, some do seem to suggestvery tight, some seem to argue for minimal contact with reed - "only three points"... etc. I do find that when my reed is wet it will have stuck to the table even when the ligature has been removed.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom