support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed preparation: trimming and bslancing

I wasn't going to reply again to this particular thread, but then the thought came into my head :-
'You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'
That's it
John

Whenever I see that aphorism I think of Dorothy Parker's reply when asked to use the word 'horticulture'.

"You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think."

There is nothing like a good debate to answer a question. Plus a couple of emails to the "Experts". First "Rico" There are many different versions on how to prepare reeds, for best tone etc. They are usually based on personal experience and style of playing( there are musicians out there with strong opinions)
If you look at the videos and read forums there is a lot of advice out there, a lot of it contradictory.There is no right or wrong answer, it all depends on the reeds mouthpiece and playing style. End quote. the person who replied to the email went on to say that they play clarinet and due to Rico's high standards of manufacture plays reeds straight out of the box, and doesn't feel as if they could be improved.

Next "Vandoren" That is a good question, as you know reeds are made from cane. A natural material, If you play a reed suited to your mouth piece you should have no problems, if this is done by adjustment or out of the box. It is also true that it could be quite easy to incriminate the material to hide a lack of practice on the instrument..

So it looks like there is no right or wrong answer. It is just a question of if it works for
then that is all that matters. From the last sentence it seems that it would be prudent to also have someone around to make sure that everything is working as it should. Despite what JB seems to think, I would adjust my reeds if I felt the need to. So there are no smug comments. No I told you so answers. Just an answer to my question. Which is all I wanted in the first place.:):):)

To everyone who posted thanks for an interesting thread and I look forward to the next one. :w00t::w00t: Quick run for cover:)))

Re: Reeds

"Originally Posted by Nick Wyver "
http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/reeds.5429/page-2#post-60553
Yup. They do. Keep 'em wet folks.

hey nick Ive just put one of my reeds in a jar full of water,
Ill try playing it over the next week or so to see what happens.
Allansto

So............... Im over running!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far Ive found that keeping a reed in water makes the playing edge nice and straight .
I guess because their swollen with water.
It definately affects the tone I get from playing.
I assume this may affect the playing lifetime of a reed though
Any comments? .......................Dare I ask.:shocked: >:):)))

Re: Reeds

"Originally Posted by Nick Wyver "
Yup. They do. Keep 'em wet folks.

hey nick Ive just put one of my reeds in a jar full of water,
Ill try playing it over the next week or so to see what happens.
Allansto

So............... Im over running!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far Ive found that keeping a reed in water makes the playing edge nice and straight .
I guess because their swollen with water.
It definately affects the tone I get from playing.
I assume this may affect the playing lifetime of a reed though

In my best Spanglish - Me no say! :))):))):))):))):):):):)
How's my smile ratio doing Tom?

John :):):):):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Water's no good. You need something that kills the bugs that cause the reed to rot. Most people use something alcohol based, like mouthwash or some sort of spirit (I use vodka). Try and avoid stuff that's got some sort of sweetener in, though, cos the reeds get a bit sticky.

Water's no good. You need something that kills the bugs that cause the reed to rot. Most people use something alcohol based, like mouthwash or some sort of spirit (I use vodka). Try and avoid stuff that's got some sort of sweetener in, though, cos the reeds get a bit sticky.

Ok .............Im thinkin maybe some metholated spirit in the water might do it but probly wont taste too good.
Ill try some mouthwash in the water.!:) I realize your meaning a 100% solution but I m not sure I want to try that yet.
Gee sounds like a bit of a product market here if any of you members know someone who`s an industrial chemist.:thumb:

I'm a raw neophyte at playing the sax. So my comments are going to be extremely limited in terms of experience. Just the same, I feel an overwhelming desire to convey some of my experiences with reeds and wetness.

I like a fairly wet reed to play. So rather than just wetting it with my mouth, I tend to lay it in a small dish of water. I actually have a small glass "candle holder" that I use just for wetting my reeds before practice. Sometime I do use mouthwash instead of water just for the sake of killing any germs that might be on the read. I typically wash the mouthpiece with mouthwash too.

Anyway, I don't submerse the entire reed. I just place the tip in the water and let the body of the read stick up out of the dish. Water tends to soak up into the reed anyway. This method works for me pretty well. And the tips do straight out very nicely when the reed is wet. Typically I don't need to leave them in the water for very long.

In fact, that's my next point. I actually got distracted and had to leave. I was gone for several hours, my reeds sitting in the water. When I came home I sat down and played using these "waterlogged" reeds. They actually seemed a bit "dead", and not as lively as normal. So I concluded that leaving them in the water too long is actually not good. (mind you I didn't turn this into a repeatable scientific experiment) So this was just from this fleeting experience.

But since that time, I've notice (or possibly imagined in my mind) that if a reed is left in the water for too long it becomes unresponsive. I've also noticed that how long the reed is left in the water seems to affect how it plays. So now I'm careful not to allow my reeds to soak in the water for too long. It's only take a very short time to get them ready to play (less than a minute actually). Although I don't think they start to become "waterlogged" until they've been in the water for quite some time, like possible 15 minutes or more.

In the meantime, I've been careful not to allow my reeds to soak for to long. If I'm playing one reed and I have another on in the water dish, I'll actually take it out and lay it on a paper towel after a few moments, until I'm ready to play it. I do this so that it doesn't become overly saturated with water.

I'm using soft #1.5 Rico Royal reeds.

Whether a read can become "too wet" I really don't know. But from my neophyte experience it seems to me that they can.

I could be totally wrong about this. Like I say, I am a neophyte saxophonist so I might not even know a good playable reed if it was staring me in the tongue.

I'm currently using water/gin combo - 90/10 ratio so no particular taste but not reedy either which I dislike. I find up to 5/10 minutes OK, but if a bit waterlogged I just give a brief rub to remove some of the moisture and make sure the fibres are straight and compacted - about 5 seconds. I'm aware that there is not much unsweetened mouthwash available.

What you say is based on experience and is useful. Just avoid spittle as it does rot your reeds.

Back
Top Bottom