All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

West London This Sunday

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I usually do not advertise gigs of mine with tickets costing more than £5.
This time it is different, since after years of regular Sundays in Whitechapel (E1), Dave Hammer's Little big horns will be playing in Chiswick (W4), at lunch time.

http://www.jazzupstairs.comxa.com/gunnersbury.html

West London is an interesting area, despite the lack of historical figures like Jack the Ripper or the Kray twins. Even last year's Olympics™ left West London almost untouched.
Dave Hammer's Little Big Horns (a gorgeous 10 piece band) will entertain the lucky audience of this remote area with some great jazz, for a paltry tenner (£10).

As the chief treasurer of the Chico Marx School of Language, I have always been amazed by the fact that in English "tenor" and "tenner" are supposed to sound the same.
In our institution, we pay extra attention when putting sheep on a ship to Eataly and try to avoid dropping haitches, but the tenor-tenner issue needs to be addressed in next year's courses. as a result, I will not play tenor saxophone, this Sunday.

Gunnersbury's concerts are the prosecution of the much celebrated "Jazz at the Manor", in Ruislip, that sadly recently discontinued its jazz program. Please appreciate that the easy pun manor-manner has been omitted.

I hope to see you there

Jamesmac

I remember seeing the use of that pun when they were selling off the Pavarotti, Domingo & Carreras. Concert CD. at a knockdown price. ie. Three Tenors for a Tenner. so I suppose it can be usefull:)Ps. Have a good one.

Young Col

Sounds great Aldevis. Sadly I am not in London on Sunday or I would have been tempted to make the journey over there.
I do hope the Chico Marx Language School also teaches Marxerian logic. For example the reason Chico was hungry was because he hadn't eaten for three days - yesterday, today and tomorrow, "That's-a three days I don' eat".

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I do hope the Chico Marx Language School also teaches Marxerian logic. For example the reason Chico was hungry was because he hadn't eaten for three days - yesterday, today and tomorrow, "That's-a three days I don' eat".

That is the advanced course, but there is a sanity clause.
I just had a gig booked in Barnehurst on the 05/07, since you cannot come this Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
That is the advanced course, but there is a sanity clause.
I just had a gig booked in Barnhurst on the 05/07, since you cannot come this Sunday.

You can't fool us Aldevis. There ain't no sanity clause.
Barnhurst might be a good date for me. That's C9Off's territory.

In the Chico Marx, Tom Tom and TFL dictionaries, "Barnehurst" is spelt with an "e". >:)

Young Col

I think that spelling Barnhurst with an "e" is relative. Just because everyone else spells it with an "e" doesn't mean it's right. Anyway, you keep my relatives out of it.

Young Col

Re C9off's post, Geoff and I did meet up and have a blow on a few tunes and I managed to sound silly on his bari as well.

We went over to the Red Barn and heard Aldevis' quartet. A great evening's contemporary jazz with Al providing a very good lead, some excellent solos and transitioning nicely from theme to theme such that one whole set of melodies all started with "All" -All of Me, All of You, All Blues... We were jaw-dropped though by the 19 year old keyboard player who was completely in control of everything a and showed touches of Monk, Powell, Shearing and lots more. Aldevis can supply his name but surely a talent to watch out for.

A pity though, that even in this pub, the cradle of UK traditional jazz revival in the 1940s and home to George Webb's Dixielanders (there is a plaque on the wall), probably no more than a dozen were actually listening to the music, although the main bar was fairly busy it being Friday night. Quartets like Aldevis' deserve better. If you can catch them, do so.

Sorry for the late post, but I've had a busy weekend!
YC

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
His name is Chris Neill. He is maturing fast.
Luckily he is developing his experience on the road, rather than in some sterile school: in two weeks time I was (or will be) on stage with him on: a Mancini tribute big band gig, that quartet, a wedding and a function band.

I hope next time the pub will do some advertising: this would help having a wider audience.

Staff online

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom