support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Way to go Plusnet

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
5 weeks and counting for the latest debacle. Totally lost internet for 2 days and the speed that was stable at between 2.3 to 2.9 mb that had dropped to 1.8 and then 1.4 mb is now under 700k!

Apparently it's BT's fault though the 2, yes that right, 2 BT engineers that came around here to test and retest everything at my house say the fault is Plusnet's kit in the exchange.

GENERAL WARNING - use Plusnet at your peril. Anyway, better sigh off before the BB goes again.

I ditched Plusnet a few years ago. And not looked back.

:shocked:Sometimes I think they're all as bad as eachother. When I was having problems with my service a couple months back I discovered that Virgin would only raise a fault if my supposedly 8Mb service dropped lower than 256kb :shocked:

Having started out as a force9 customer, their merger or takeover has left me in the incapable hands of plusnet.
Anything seems to take down my reasonable connection speed. Wind, rain, clouds, traffic, lack of tea bags in my cupboard....anything!
Over the last couple of weeks I have had a connection that will maybe load one page then disconnect. This goes on for hours and then finally a stable connection but you have to get speed up again over a few days.
Boy you really got me started! I'm looking for something else.

In my area BT infinity is due to be launched at the end of september which reads well on their website.
The bad news is, when I rang about availability for my specific address they said they didn't know until the launch which addresses in the 'connected area' would actually be able to get it.
Their were a lot of clauses about how far you live away from the nearest junction box, whether you connect directly to an exchange and many many more things.
I fail to believe they don't know having gone this far but they certainly ain't telling!
That is already a bad experience in my opinion, may be I should be more patient but its advertised out there so I think they should have the answers.

Mr Happy :mad:

Having started out as a force9 customer, their merger or takeover has left me in the incapable hands of plusnet.
Anything seems to take down my reasonable connection speed. Wind, rain, clouds, traffic, lack of tea bags in my cupboard....anything!
Over the last couple of weeks I have had a connection that will maybe load one page then disconnect. This goes on for hours and then finally a stable connection but you have to get speed up again over a few days.
Boy you really got me started! I'm looking for something else.

In my area BT infinity is due to be launched at the end of september which reads well on their website.
The bad news is, when I rang about availability for my specific address they said they didn't know until the launch which addresses in the 'connected area' would actually be able to get it.
Their were a lot of clauses about how far you live away from the nearest junction box, whether you connect directly to an exchange and many many more things.
I fail to believe they don't know having gone this far but they certainly ain't telling!
That is already a bad experience in my opinion, may be I should be more patient but its advertised out there so I think they should have the answers.

Mr Happy :mad:

Yep. Used Plusnet 4 years ago without issue. Move to Talk Talk under pressure from mrs hd to save some cash - fastest speed I have ever had but up and down like a whore's drawers and then they switched off support for vpn. Never found 'Mr/Mrs Gupta' very helpful as the answers to my questions weren't always on their script.

Eventually went back to Plusnet a year ago via BT who were equally inept and I think used the same call centre as Talk Talk! It's been a nightmare culminating in a total failure in BB earlier this week.

Like you, BT are looking like an option as the BT engineer (1st one) that came to my house says there's a fibre 'cab' less than 250m from my house and fibre should be installed fully around the end of the year. He suggested speed up to 60mb but BT says only 40. I'd settle for 5mb and stable!!

Anyway, I am registered with BT for an update when mt house can get fibre. We'll see.

At the mo I have 1148k at my router and Speedtest says I am seeing 721k. This has been stable at 721/22 since 18.29 yesterday. It's barely usable and I expect it to get worse as has been happening since whoever did what they did to restore my connection.

What gets me is their lack of interest/care for the customer and the fact they never call back when they have promised to nor do they update their online 'questions' section on outstanding fault tickets. Of course they do update it when I have no internet connectivity and therefore can't access it - which is nice :w00t:

I did ring Offcom but they are useless. Anyway before I get too angry or depressed I'm move on.......

As I said, caveat emptor where Plusnet are concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon Bennett, I thought mine was a bit slow, that's awful. My service provider is OK, but the speed's hampered by my living in the meddle of nowhere, surviving on antiquated infrastructure.

While I was away last week the cottage I stayed in had a Talk Talk wireless connection. The worst I have ever seen, dial up sort of performance. Just awful.

It seems BT didn't do their work as promised but it's taken Plusnet 6 days to find that out - way to go Plusnet! Good to see my speed is down again this morning though - 628k. Nice.

BT Infinity is almost here........ bye bye Plusnet

So here we are campers........ the start of week 7 and we're still at less than 700k. Of course they blamed BT again, and again........

...... but help is at hand. BT Infinity is coming to my exchange on 30th September and the fibre 'cab' is just 250m from my house, and I can get it from then and am guaranteed a minimum of 15mb and possibly up to 40mb! Woopee!

Now of course I have to run the gauntlet of Plusnets leaving police in order to get my mac code. So if all goes to plan I should have fibre and 15mb+ broadband by the end of the first week in October. :w00t:

Sounds like a nightmare. Good luck, I hope it'll be worth it in the end!

Sounds like a nightmare. Good luck, I hope it'll be worth it in the end!

You're not kidding!

Anyway, it seems a BT engineer will be at the exchange tomorrow and they are replacing all of the kit including the line. Apparently I'm not the only one with issues in my area. Once that's done he'll be here testing everything a third time. It's a joke really - well actually not! Anyway, I requested the mac code which'll be here in 4 or 5 days and then on 30th I'll check with BT Infinity and hopefully I'll be going interstellar in October!

You're not kidding!

Anyway, it seems a BT engineer will be at the exchange tomorrow and they are replacing all of the kit including the line. Apparently I'm not the only one with issues in my area. Once that's done he'll be here testing everything a third time. It's a joke really - well actually not! Anyway, I requested the mac code which'll be here in 4 or 5 days and then on 30th I'll check with BT Infinity and hopefully I'll be going interstellar in October!

Awesome! Plusnet didn't uncap my line so the BT engineer found the same speed with no loss at all when testing here at my house, at the cab down the rod and the exchange! Way to go Plusnet. Keep it up.

This could be my last post here for a while - down to 437k now and pages very very slow to load. If it gets any worse....... I'll not be able to access t'internet at all :mad:

Thanks for asking. BT engineer came on Friday - he was supposed to be here at 8am but turned up at 12pm! I had booked the morning off work! Anyway, he came to do the same tests as the previous 3 had done but it was lucky for me that he'd been engineer no 2 and so had been here only last week! Anyway his brief was similar to before, not at all what Plusnet had told me he was here to do!!!

So I went nuts at Plusnet and convinced the BT guy to call his boss. Eventually they agreed to do the line change, lift & shift and other bits and bobs. By 4pm I had a sync speed of over 5 mb but still only 322k usable download speed. After a complete reboot of my router to default settings and a wait of an hour I have 4.3mb of download speed. It's been the same all weekend baring one small blip at 3.8mb first thing this morning. It's now back to 4.2mb.

So success though I have an ulcer and gone very grey - well what is left!

Good news also that BT Infinity emailed me on Friday to say that I can have Infinity from 30th September. That's a guaranteed minimum of 15mb and up to 40mb. I am so close to the fibre enabled cab which is less than 150m away the engineer said I could get maybe 36 or 38mb. So I have requested my mac code from Plusnet already and on 30th if BT say Infinity is now enabled for my house which it should be I'll be firing them and should have it within 5 to 7 working days!

Anyone want a top SOHO Billion ADSL2 router?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're OK until ound two at the end to the month.... Let's hope that goes a little smoother...

Back
Top Bottom