M/Pieces - Ligs Watch out for this MP hazard

I've just acquired a new MP for my Alto. I applied grease to the cork before sliding it onto the neck. After playing for about two hours I twisted the MP off the neck to put my saxophone away. When the MP separated from the neck it also removed a 1/3rd of the neck cork with it! On closer inspection I discovered that the MP's orifice was 0,2mm smaller in diametre than my 4C and S8O MP's. The interior surface of the MP was rough and dull looking which is why the MP had gripped the cork so firmly. I used fine emery sandpaper wrapped around a 15mm felt-tip pen's shaft to smooth down the surface. This made it polished, dark and shiny like the outside surfaces. Be warned and inspect the inside of a new MP closely, before fitting it to the neck of your sax or the same thing may happen to you.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
New rule for the UK House of Commons perhaps. >:)
Maybe a few of the older MP's should be inspected too.
If you really must do that, make sure you have on those surgical gloves. You run the risk of them enjoying it too much, too.. Maybe just round them up and put them out to pasture.

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
It sounds to me as if the cork hadn't been installed properly in the first place. Anyone who has tried to remove old cork to replace it with new knows that it doesn't come off without a fight (unless you heat the inside of the neck first).

Top Bottom