All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Warm up piece

drrob7

Just interested in what songs or pieces you like to play as a warm up to a practice session to wake up the sax and reed? This is besides long tones and scales - are their any favorite tunes that are good warm ups?

I quite like Moon River - lots of long slow notes.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
I like to play the first slow part of A Sleepin' Bee (Phil Woods transcription) to warm up. Other than that anything slow and bluesy

Last edited by a moderator:

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
I always seem to stray on to Desifinado or Harlem Nocturne or even Misty believe it or not, but unfortunatley not as well as the posted one

altissimo

this -

and then I wake up and realise it was all just a beautiful dream...

- in this weather, warming up involves donning thermal underwear and many other layers and consuming a generous helping of rum - practicing is just a blur... :)

Sue

Do you know I thought for a minute I might be able to manage that and then he really got going silly me...john

I'm the same I manage the first 2 minutes then give up!! I will master it within the next 10 years!! It's a lovely piece though

Sue

this -
and then I wake up and realise it was all just a beautiful dream...

- in this weather, warming up involves donning thermal underwear and many other layers and consuming a generous helping of rum - practicing is just a blur... :)

Great animated sheet music - and yes it is a bit thermal weather isn't it?

Colin the Bear

I don't listen to Charlie much anymore. His playing makes me feel inadequate. I've managed about 3 of his little trills and runs in 30 years. Some of his stuff I don't even have the capacity to listen that fast any more. I think that's why I bought a Baritone. Cos I never seen him play one.

arock

I love listening to you pros. Pete's taming the sax is great, but depressing for a begginer. Just about the time I feel good about a new song I have learned, I realize how crude it is. I don't have enough years left to get to your levels.
My favorite warm up song is Closer Walk with Thee. Pete Fountain was my idle when I played Clarinet.

TimC

Georgia on my mind has recently become the song I'm playing most and is something I often start off with. I found a great backing track for it which really adds to the enjoyment of playing the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXG32uX5HtM

Of course I sound at least as good as this guy playing it! :blush:

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom