All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Warm Persuit

Taz

Busking Oracle
Definitely not my taste in music, but you do have a very very pleasant tone on that there tenor!

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Great playing. A lovely piece with a lovely tenor and a lovely guitar. But all together (remembering your other stuff) it all gets a bit, not dull, but to much of the same. Enjoyable, but in quite smaller portions than what you serve.

Wade Cornell

Enjoyable, but in quite smaller portions than what you serve.

Not quite sure what this means??? But think I get the gist. All of the tracks posted so far are with the same guitarist. I'm bound to what he serves up in terms of modes, changes, rhythm, etc. He has a style and way of thinking compositionally and his guitarist "finger memory". I'm culpable in terms of being someone who tries to add to whatever is there rather than pushing against it. The guitarist can't follow me, so I've go to follow him.

Here's something different:
DeadAudiolink Removed
It's with a different guitarist and is in the Free Jazz vein. It was initally just me and the guitarist but was editied and added to with other (computer generated) instruments by that guitarist. Hard to say what the core of my playing might be as it changes somewhat to fit with whoever I'm playing with. I try to be within the music rather than standing on top and kicking at it.

Moz

I rather like it. Is good as an introduction but then I'd like it to move into a song of some sort; maybe some African origin type stuff.

One real bad thing though and that's the stereo split. Guitar in right ear, sax in the left, not nice. Don't pan them so far apart.

Good though, like it.

Martin

PS (hesitates to mention in case it's deliberate but it's Pursuit)

Wade Cornell

I rather like it. Is good as an introduction but then I'd like it to move into a song of some sort; maybe some African origin type stuff.

One real bad thing though and that's the stereo split. Guitar in right ear, sax in the left, not nice. Don't pan them so far apart.

Good though, like it.

Martin

PS (hesitates to mention in case it's deliberate but it's Pursuit)

Thanks Moz.

Yea, spelling just isn't my long suit. I'd be screwed without spell check, too bad it doesn't work in all applications.

Agree about this not going anywhere. It's a problem with the guitarist I work with. These are improvisations, not worked out songs, so there isn't much movement/modulation and he hasn't got his chops together to hear where he should go. He's able to find a groove, but then just sits there. Within the context of what it is and how it comes about it's OK, but not as standalone music. The recording is done with a Zoom. I record the guitar directly in and I'm on a microphone. The edit is using audacity which has no pan or mixer (that I've found). I would prefer to do a proper edit and mix, but this would require using another programme. I have Cubase LE but find it not that intuitive or user friendly. The reverb is just a bunch of poor quality presets. At least in Audacity you can adjust all of the reverb (they call it Gverb) parameters and a lot more. A lot more could be done, but hey, these are just recordings of rehearsal jams.

On the positive side it allows anyone who may be interested to download and just use the guitar part to play thier own improvisation if they are so inclined. In a previous post I think I mentioned this invited anyone who wishes to do this and re-post with their version. Could make a break from just doing "standards".

Moz

Audacity does have a pan control. Assuming your sax and guitar are on different tracks you can use the LR slider which is on the left hand side, like this:

Wade Cornell

Thanks Moz. Unfortunately if you try to use this as shown you will just put all on one side or the other. You'd need to split the track which happens by hitting the little down triangle on the top right of the box then click on split track. But once you've done that what you will find is that if there's nothing on the side you're trying to move to that it just cuts out the sound. It's not a real pan, and it doesn't mix it. Have a play and you'll see what I mean. I've been using this programme for about four years and think I've tried almost everything to get around it without going to another programme. Doesn't mean that it's not there, just haven't found how to do it, but it's unfortunately not as simple as it looks. Most everything else I need is in there and it's extremely intuitive, so a real frustration.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
You could always duplicate the track putting one Left and one Right, You would have four tracks instead of two..

Chris

Moz

Thanks Moz. Unfortunately if you try to use this as shown you will just put all on one side or the other. You'd need to split the track which happens by hitting the little down triangle on the top right of the box then click on split track. But once you've done that what you will find is that if there's nothing on the side you're trying to move to that it just cuts out the sound. It's not a real pan, and it doesn't mix it. Have a play and you'll see what I mean. I've been using this programme for about four years and think I've tried almost everything to get around it without going to another programme. Doesn't mean that it's not there, just haven't found how to do it, but it's unfortunately not as simple as it looks. Most everything else I need is in there and it's extremely intuitive, so a real frustration.

Yes I can see that's the way it looks but I am assuming that the recording you have is two different stereo tracks, I just didn't show a second track as I was only pointing out the LR slider.

I have just been faffing about with one old track and found that if I split a stereo track into two mono's by clicking on the little arrow where the track name is then I get two separate sliders for L and R and can get a pseudo stereo pan by separating the two outwards in opposite directions.

Wade Cornell

Now that's a clever idea! Will give that a bash and see what happens. Cheers.

Chris, you’re a genius! Opened another stereo track and reversed the tracks so that I could then pan across and balance between the four tracks. Can then use the "quick mix" feature that blends them together and export as a stereo track. Works fine.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom