All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

FOUND wanted: selmer b.a./s.b.a. style alto neck, brass lacquer.

peterpick

thanks hankenstine. i already placed a bid, but it looks as though several other people have decided it could be a bargain, so i fear it will go out of my range.....

brianr

Interesting.

The seller is also selling a VERY badly beat up mark six alto.
There doesn’t appear to be a neck with this. Initially thought the neck on the “padless “ might be from the mark six.
But now I see that it is from an earlier sax. SBA or BA or even earlier.

The octave pip looks in place, but probable sealed/closed.
The two guides for the moving part have been removed. Probably easy to find something to replace.
But the biggest problem is going to be finding the correct main part that is missing. Don’t know what to call it. The “bit that moves”
Probably end up with a cannibalised part from a different brand.
Not ideal !!

Will be interesting to see how high it goes.

peterpick

hmmm, i also wonder if they must have sealed the pip up. it would need 2 pillars soldered on.....

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Sorry I didn't re-read this entire thread...so perhaps this was covered - how about a small roll of the dice on a cheaper route ? (these have been getting positive comments, and the company is very responsive to inquiries/communiques, etc):

the thing you gotta do is get a really good measurement of your neck receiver...talking calipers. IF your receiver is NOT within .2mm of their 24.5 tenon....you can ask them if they can outfit an Alto neck with a tenon that matches your receiver (they will do that for you).

peterpick

hi jaye, i just spent a happy half hour measuring my tenon, the sort of thing you can get arrested for if you do it in public, and it seems like it would fit. so i ordered one, at that price it seems it's worth a try. i might have to wait a while for it, as it comes from so far away, but it will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

peterpick

oh dear, lord knows. but how strong is the evidence on which you base this assumption. the sax i bought which has caused this problem had what i can only describe as a forged selmer neck. it has the shield. apart from that it has nothing selmer about it. i wonder how much the shield is worth? ;-)

Hankenstine

@peterpick This maybe of interest to you? Looks to be an early Selmer crook albeit with no octave mechanism:

Sold for just under £300.

peterpick

hello, yes, but not to me. it would need various other parts - shield, key, bracket, and the octave pip must have been sealed, i suppose. so not quite a bargain price, i think.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
hello, yes, but not to me. it would need various other parts - shield, key, bracket, and the octave pip must have been sealed, i suppose. so not quite a bargain price, i think.

It's a neat idea, but if your horn is completely tight (no air leaks, nothing blowing open, tenon as structurally sound as 1 piece horn without a detachable neck) you basically already have the same thing when you finger low Bb (or low A on a low A saxophone, but that keyless one isn't a low A).

Hankenstine

Selmer Balanced Action alto crook available here:

peterpick

Sorry I didn't re-read this entire thread...so perhaps this was covered - how about a small roll of the dice on a cheaper route ? (these have been getting positive comments, and the company is very responsive to inquiries/communiques, etc):
hi jaye, i got the eastern music neck today, it's actually really good, it opens up the sound but it's not altered the characteristic tone too much. i'm having a bit of trouble with the intonation occasionally, but that's probably just me. definitely a bargain, and thanks for the tip. even the colour is quite close.

peterpick

Selmer Balanced Action alto crook available here:
hello hankenstine, thanks for the info, i have written to mr crow, but rather frighteningly he has not put a price up for the neck, which looks just right. i also note that the saxes he advertises (even those that need a service) are eyewateringly expensive. i KNOW i could get a conn 10M for half that, and a balnced action alto for £1000 less.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
hi jaye, i just spent a happy half hour measuring my tenon, the sort of thing you can get arrested for if you do it in public, and it seems like it would fit. so i ordered one, at that price it seems it's worth a try. i might have to wait a while for it, as it comes from so far away, but it will be interesting to hear how it sounds.
Good luck, please report back. As you say, not a very expensive roll of the dice ....and more often than not, it seems, owners have reported themselves to be pleased.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
hi jaye, i got the eastern music neck today, it's actually really good, it opens up the sound but it's not altered the characteristic tone too much. i'm having a bit of trouble with the intonation occasionally, but that's probably just me. definitely a bargain, and thanks for the tip. even the colour is quite close.
Oops, lol...I am a bit behind the curve today....cool.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter

I'm not familiar with this neck, but when subbing necks you can run into some very idiosyncratic results. There is quite a bit of variation to what can be right/wrong, and for the same player different aspects of how the neck feels good and bad can vary across periods of your playing.

I used to find Selmer compatible necks to be very bad on vintage Conn and Buescher. Recently, someone asked me if my PRC offerings' necks (tenor) are compatible with 10Ms or Bueschers. I can't remember which. But, when I ran tests, the result of the PRC neck on the Buescher was pretty good, though with some subtle intonational challenges (the kind you don't hear when you're playing "a capella" but that you can hear being off when playing ensemble (via warble).

The PRC model is very compatible with Selmer necks, after a pretty extreme tenon change, so this result was very surprising, i.e. the PRC neck was much more possible as a match than I found Selmer necks to be on 10Ms in the past.

I am a better/stronger player now than at the earlier point, so maybe that has a lot to do with being able to "goose" the PRC neck. I dunno. These are all meaningful observations I'd share with any client in person who was experimenting as you are.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Ugh. Can't edit. "These are all meaningful observations (to me) that I'd share..." etc etc

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
And, while typing, I convinced myself it was a Buescher, not a 10M, that the inquirant had.

Top Bottom