All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Wannabe Tenor Player

JCD60

Greetings all from not so sunny Scotland,

I`m a pianist (OK)/guitarist (not so OK) with a sax itch that shows no sign of going away - my better half`s been learning the alto over the last few months, which has made matters worse. In a doomed attempt to stop myself doing something rash with a credit card before I know my bell from my crook, I`ve been lurking around here for a while as a guest soaking up some of the accumulated wisdom, which has been extremely helpful. However, the time may now have come to give into the urge - which is sort-of tenor-shaped - so I thought I`d better confess to my shameful past voyeurism and register like a proper person . . .

John

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
ooh! a tenor shaped object ... :)))

Actually, although I already play an alto and a bari, I am also about to obtain a tenor :w00t:

There's lots of great advice around here on good ones to buy, and not necesarily at silly amounts of money.

Fancy being tortured by your wife on alto for all these months and not yet succumbing :welldone

enjoy your journey, and welcome to the Cafe

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi John

Big welcome from me. Tenor's much nicer than alto. Despite what the alto people here say. Have fun, shout and check the yardsale, couple of tenors in there, one of which would really take my fancy if I was about to jump in...

Fancy being tortured by your wife on alto for all these months and not yet succumbing :welldone
Maybe he likes it that way.

JCD60

Many thanks for the warm welcome everybody, much appreciated. Being tortured by an alto? Only for the first few days - it became rather pleasant after that!

Grateful to Kev for pointing me towards the Yard Sale - possibly the most dangerous place on this site. If that BW TS-PD is still for sale, I may not be able to hold out for long . . .

Amanda, I'm in Heilan' Perthshire, AKA God's Own Country . All we're missing is the sea. Oh, and the sun. And we could do without the several feet of white stuff between November and March . . .

John

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi John,

if that's Paul's BW Tenor, I think it may no longer be available.....once I've been down to collect it >:)

Chris98

...Tenor's much nicer than alto. Despite what the alto people here say...
He's only saying that because he's not found the right mouthpiece >:)

Welcome John,

Tenor shaped or alto shaped, the important thing is that you want to play the sax, and if you can already read music then you have a head start on most of us when we first started.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Chris

TomMapfumo

A Big Welcome from Skabertawe!

Getting a BW sax would be a very sound idea - best available under £1000, and some good prices out there! (e.g. £675 at www.saxophoneheaven.com . Do not be put off by Kevvy G and his alto struggles. It is a fact that the smaller the sax the harder to play well. Hence soprano is harder than alto, which is harder than tenor, which is harder than baritone.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Jay.

See you believe in "the more the better."

ENJOY!​™

Sweet Dreamer

Hi John,

I'm also a "wannabe" sax player, even though I currently own both an alto and a tenor.

Owl share my stories as shameful as they may be.

I started with a cheap clarinet just to get a feel for what a reed instrument was like. It was a horrible experience and I could never make music on the thing. Probably partly because it was such a cheap 'toy' instead of a real instrument. In any case, I moved "up" to an alto sax, taking a huge risk dumping a large sum of money down (for me) to purchase an Alto. Even so, it was one of the cheapest altos I could find.

Much to my joy and amazement the Alto was far easier to play than a clarinet (or at least it was easier that the junk clarinet I had)

In fact, I did so well with the alto, after about a year I decided to buy a tenor. Again the idea was moving "up" (if only in terms of expense), except this time I lucked out and found a tenor for the shame cheap price as I had paid for the alto!

Much to my joy and amazement it's a pretty darn nice horn in spite of it's low cost. The other thing that surprised me is that it does seem to be easier to play in many ways. I think part of that is simply because it's a larger horn and therefore more mellow.

I was a bit concerned about it because I have respiratory problems and I head that tenors take quite a bit more air than altos. So I had a fear that I might run out of breath quick playing it. But I haven't noticed all that much difference really. The tenor might take a tad bit more air, but it's certainly not demanding abnormal amounts of air as I first feared that it might.

So now I have two saxes! Yippee!

And I'm just a horrible on both of them. (ha ha)

But really that can depend on what I'm trying to play. Some pieces I do pretty good at. Others are simply beyond my current skill.

You're lucky to have a partner who also plays sax. At least you'll have someone to play duets with. I've been trying to teach my cat to play the alto, but he's just not interested.

JCD60

Even more warm welcomes! How friendly is this forum?

Mandy, thanks for letting me know that you`ve scooped up the BW in the Yard Sale. You`ve probably saved me from leaping in haste (and almost total ignorance) at the first tenor I spotted. Patience was never my strong point; the itch will have to wait a little longer to get scratched . . .

Thanks for the good wishes, Chris and Tom. Having had music pounded into me from an early age (thanks to a father who should have been a pro pianist, but ended up living the wild, depraved life of a chartered accountant in order to put food in the mouths of his children), I`ve been able to read music since I was about six. It`s getting my fingers to do what the dots say that`s always been the problem . . .

And thanks for sharing your "wannabe" experiences, Sweet Dreamer. Two saxes? Greedy! I suppose I`m not a complete woodwind newbie, as way back in my adolescent years - spoiler alert: humiliating admission of nerdy teenage traits coming up - when everyone else around me was (very sensibly) strapping on Les Pauls or beating the **** out of a set of Tamas and Zildjians, I was clamping my lips around that devil`s own instrument of torture, a double reed. Yes, that`s right: I played the oboe . . . very, very badly. That got dumped after a few years, but thankfully the piano stayed with me and the guitar finally came along several years later. Never tried a single reed when I was younger, but now that I`m older (if not much wiser), and my ears have finally grown up, the wonderful sound of the sax is beckoning . . .

John

md90065

Hi and welcome to the cafe i am sure your adventure would be fun.. i started and played alto for along time started on a cleveland sax made by king that was a student line horn that played great for me well tuned i still have it.. in my museum i also have a few other kings and martins.. saxed i played i find the tenor easir to blow or control then the alto . but either way they are both great instruments to play....

catch you later

Michael

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom