All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Wanna Say Hi :)

rokstar5000

I'm totally new to the sax. Last thanksgiving I purchased a tenor to play in a band I joined. Not having a clue, I purchased a used sax off Craigslist. It is a Selman. I've since done plenty of research and have heard all the horror stories about these things. I've been playing guitar since i was a kid and know that cheap knock-offs can still be made to play fairly well if you're willing to put a little time and money into them. I did find a tech that tried to set it up. making a few adjustments and replacing a couple pads. I went to buy a new mouthpiece from another dealer and he said that the mouthpiece was a pretty good knock-off of a Selmer. it has a pretty good size baffle and very thin walls. I seem to be doing pretty well with it but my biggest worry is if something actually snaps or breaks off. is anybody familiar with these copies. I'm trying to find a parts supplier now before something breaks and was hoping that maybe they copied the Selmer to the point that some of the parts may fit. thanx for any input.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
If it's working, forget about it. Anything that breaks can be fixed/soldered by good tech. The problem comes in when the cost of getting it playing is above the value of the sax.

The other option is to sell it on and buy something better before it breaks, but you'd probably lose more money.

Save your cash for a good sax once you've learnt enough to know what you want.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Rokstar5000.

You are aware the The Who were originally called The High Numbers. Now there's a challenge.

ENJOY!​™

TomMapfumo

Hi Dude!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax - and hope all your sax endeavours go well. It is better to be a Man rather than a Mouse, but not better to be a Man rather than a Mer! Good advice from KevvyG above. Depending on where you are based there are usually good value saxes around. If in UK then do have a look at a Gear4Music sax, which is only about £250 but has a pretty good rating in the lower price range. For a good sax mouthpiece with a contemporary vibe, why not lash out on a Bari Esprit II for £14 or so - I have tried one and reviewed it in the beginners section recently.

Kind regards
Tom

Justin Chune

Hello Rokstar and welcome to the cafe. These days there are lots of low cost saxophones around that play well and don't need money spent on them. Enjoy your new hobby.

Jim.

rokstar5000

Thank You for all Your great Advice. I feel very welcome here and will visit often. I've always loved the Sax but was afraid it was to much plumbing for me to ever figure out. It's quite a challenge but a lot of fun. I've only been playing for a few months and am already dabbling with altisimo. I've completely solved the mice problem in the neighborhood and my neighbor's dogs want to eat me but am beginning to show signs of progress. Thanx again for making a newby feel welcome.

Top Bottom