support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Vito Yamaha Japan Value Please !!

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
Hello thanks for dropping in. I have decided to upgrade my Alto to something a little 'shinier' so the old girl a well played Vito Yamaha Japan Alto is up for sale however I've had her so long I've forgotten her value when purchased, but of course values change so quickly so that's not important., I'm in the UK so will be different elsewhere.

The machine has signs of wear as I do, however she plays extremely well and up to now has been played up to 5 times a week semi professionally and she was recently overhauled with the majority of corks, and pads renewed and springs adjusted by a reputable repairer based in Cheshire (identity on request). For obvious reasons I don't want to put her on eBay and prefer to sell her privately. The sax was built in Japan serial number 038106 she has the obvious played lacquer wear but no mayor dings'.

So a 'realistic' today's price would be appreciated and is CafeS' the best place to post her and if yes the best thread please and are photo's really necessary? Thank you.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
When you have a price please list in yardsale :)

Jx

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
A mint condition Vito alto cost me £200 a few years back. A good condition one (current) with some wear cost £80. It needed 5 pads which I did myself.
Someone in the know might pay £250 for a mint one. The general public won't know this is identical to a Yamaha 21/23 and will ignore it.
A Yamaha branded alto 21/23/25 in excellent condition will cost £350-450 and sometimes £100-200 (as I know).
Some will want £600... good luck!
I'd list it here for £250 and see what happens. But be prepared to take less after a few weeks, maybe £150-200.
Photos essential. 20 or so.
I'd be happy to endorse your sale thread. Apart from the 62s I've had, the Vito plays better than any of my 23, 25, 275 altos. It's the one I've kept for that reason. What are you (supposedly) upgrading to?

Last edited:

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
Well thanks for your thoughts BUT !!

The overhaul completed 3 months ago cost me just under £200 so I aint throwing it away look at the price of a professional overhaul !! Thanks anyway.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
That's the problem. You spend £200 On a horn which is then worth...£200.
Good job you didn't have a full professional overhaul at £350-500!

Most do this uneconomical work if they plan to keep a horn they love.

Best to sell before you spend the money, but that's no help to you.

Here's one I tried to sell at £299: SOLD - Yamaha YAS-23 LeBlanc Vito "Made in Japan" Alto Saxophone

Last edited:

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
That's the problem. You spend £200 On a horn which is then worth...£200.

Most do this uneconomical work if they plan to keep a horn they love.

Best to sell before you spend the money, but that's no help to you.

Here's one I tried to sell at £299: SOLD - Yamaha YAS-23 LeBlanc Vito "Made in Japan" Alto Saxophone

Reply appreciated however when your horn becomes virtually unplayable and you have paid gigs waiting to be played I had no alternative at that time to have the work quickly completed or not get paid.

Yes agree possibly a waste of money but I have no intention to 'give it away' maybe somebody may see they are getting a future 'reliable' horn as it's been virtually 'rebuilt'.

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Sorry for butting in - but another way to look at that £200 worh of service, is that that is the value you got playing 5 giggs a week till the corks, pads and springs needed seeing to. How long (in hours or giggs played) since it was previously in top condition? Well, that number of hours cost you £200 of horn maintenance. Say it was 200 sessions. If you'd dropped a quid, plus another for reeds etc, in a tin after each gig; you'd save enough to pay for the wear and tear.
It is a real cost, like transport.

Last edited:

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Good thinking @mizmar
It's especially galling trying to sell a Yamaha that's not a Yamaha and thinking everyone should realise it's a Yamaha.
Stencils such as this are often worth less than half of their identical, but 'big four' branded cousins. It's just the way it is.
Knowledgeable buyers also know this and won't pay over the odds.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I think a realistic price for these is in the £200 to £250 price band as well. I've had three Yamaha Vito altos and a tenor, and I think they're great value to buyers. If I were in your position, I'd keep the Yamaha Vito as a spare sax. If you're playiong a load of gigs it would be worth having a spare.

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
Sorry for butting in - but another way to look at that £200 worh of service, is that that is the value you got playing 5 giggs a week till the corks, pads and springs needed seeing to. How long (in hours or giggs played) since it was previously in top condition? Well, that number of hours cost you £200 of horn maintenance. Say it was 200 sessions. If you'd dropped a quid, plus another for reeds etc, in a tin after each gig; you'd save enough to pay for the wear and tear.
It is a real coat, like transport.

Thank you Mizmar BUT !! Sums, today I believe referred to as Mathematics has never been my forte so I am out 'cold' but thank you for your input nonetheless.

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
I think a realistic price for these is in the £200 to £250 price band as well. I've had three Yamaha Vito altos and a tenor, and I think they're great value to buyers. If I were in your position, I'd keep the Yamaha Vito as a spare sax. If you're playiong a load of gigs it would be worth having a spare.

Yes agree !!

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I have no intention to 'give it away' maybe somebody may see they are getting a future 'reliable' horn as it's been virtually 'rebuilt'.

I ask what you think it is worth but be prepared to consider offers after a while if it doesn’t sell. Good description and photos to justify the value you put on it.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
As @jonf rightly says, unless you're desperate for a couple of hundred quid keep the Vito for when your new shiny horn takes a holiday.

Have you decided what you're going to get yet? If so, let me see if I can find you one £200 cheaper than you can, and then the overhaul was free! :thumb:

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
As @jonf rightly says, unless you're desperate for a couple of hundred quid keep the Vito for when your new shiny horn takes a holiday.

Have you decided what you're going to get yet? If so, let me see if I can find you one £200 cheaper than you can, and then the overhaul was free! :thumb:

I think I'll be well gone when my new shiny horn takes a holiday even with all the gigging I aint a yungun !!

Top Bottom