All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Saxophones Vito Alto: looking for more info

mcjeff321

I picked up a Vito alto sax one of my former students was going to sell for travel money... Serial # 2549A, I would guess from the 1980's (from the tags on the case. Any idea how to find the year/model from the serial#?
I'll post some pics ASAP

Chris J

There are a number of possible makers. This is a good resource to start with

Chris

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
The A in the serial likely means it is a Vito, Kenosha Wisconsin horn. Probably from the late 60's -mid 70's. These were often assembled in Kenosha from parts imported from France, the parts made by Beaugnier.

If one of these, they are good, solid, reliable horns which sound quite nice. Not a high market value, but still a quality instrument.

The link above will probably not help you with serial numbers, as the serial chart there is in reference to Yamaha-made Vitos. Your serial number doesn't seem to be a Yamaha one.

Post a photo, that will help.

Chris J

This link is to photos of Vito # 2551A (2 more than the OP's). It is like this?

Chris

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
The Hodges was a model 35.....if the OP landed one of those that'd be sumthin', there aren't many....

Chris J

In the first link I posted, scrolling down to table 1c gives all the miscellaneous makers. There is a serial number list from 2537A to 2802A all being Model 35s.

OP
M

mcjeff321

I picked up a Vito alto sax one of my former students was going to sell for travel money... Serial # 2549A, I would guess from the 1980's (from the tags on the case. Any idea how to find the year/model from the serial#?
I'll post some pics ASAP
C9A5CE36-BA2E-451F-A41A-2BB1BED1CF8F.jpeg
27DA948D-1147-432A-B5B5-B6623703FCA2.jpeg

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
DANG, dude... @Chris J was ON it :clapping: ...... that is a Model 35 ! I was expecting to see a Model 37 or Vito Special.

INTERESTING horn you have there...it has what is known as "Leblanc System" Keywork...sometimes referred to as "Semi-Rationale" keywork.

That horn can do cool things (besides befuddling repair techs o_O )

Here's a vid showing how the alternate fingerings on this horn operate. The demonstrator mistakes it for (and keeps referring to it as) a "Rationale" keywork sax, which is slightly different. But that horn in the vid is a System/Semi model 35...same as your horn.
It can also be played completely conventionally, regular fingerings and all....

The Doctorsax site also has a link to a PDF copy of a fingering chart for the horn....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3MVYQASBs

Last edited:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Oh...these were hot items once, back in the early 2000's...in good, serviced shape they were fetching around $1000-1200...as project horns they fetched $600.

But today, notsomuch....a project one can be had for around $300-350ish, and a serviced/repadded one only fetches around $750ish....

(Vitos made in France usually are stamped so...so if there is no France stamp anywhere, it was likely an 'assembled in Kenosha' horn).

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom