support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Vishnu’s clown

Very lush and moody.Your tone sounds so strong here.Nice tone tilts towards the end.Sorry but as ever all i can say is i loved it from both of you's.The perfect pairing i think of you and Gerhard.

Very nice Wade, your tone on this one is really good.

Haunting. That last note, on it's own, was perfect!

Thanks all for your comments and encouragement. Still dealing with having to sort out and rebuild part of the house after the fire, so I guess there's a bit more emotion underlying my playing.

Your sound is more or less exactly the kind of sound I want to achieve - my ideal of the saxophone tone. You don't come across that every day... Lush and warm, yet powerful. Fantastic. The only tiny gripe I have is the key clicks coming through. (I also think there's three notes slightly out of tune at 1'46, 1'48 and 1'51, but I suppose they may be intentional, at least the two first ones sound like that!)

It sounds intentional, think 'harmonic minor' sounding for that 'eastern' feeling.. Perhaps Wade will jump in and comment..

Hmmm...never been asked before to comment/dissect something I've played. I listened back to hear what was happening at those points mentioned. Must say that this is not a written piece and certainly not practiced. It's an improvisation based on what the guitarist was playing. It's modal, which makes it easier as there are no changes. I just need to "hear" a line and play what I'm hearing in my head.

Still not sure if jrintaha meant wrong notes or out of tune?

To answer Chris: I'm lazy and don't ever try to identify the mode or give it a name as this doesn't do anything (for me) in terms of hearing a melodic line. It may help some to know the notes involved so that they can play something that fits within that mode. For me playing is about melody which isn't the same as tossing out technical variations. It's about trying to give the listener a [FONT=&amp]non-intellectual[/FONT] experience, a story that they picture in their head, a place, feeling, etc. As some have commented much of what we play sounds like a sound track to visuals.

I don't always connect what's in my head with what comes out of the horn (pesky fingers!). When that happens I do what most players would do: bluff and cover. That didn't happen at the times that were identified (1'46, 1'48 and 1'51), so I must have meant to play those notes. If they are the ones I think they are they are tension passing tones, especially the one starting the phrase.

We each have listening/hearing filters that reflect what we are familiar with. Many would listen to Asian or African ethnic music and (unless they already had a connection and understood the "vocabulary") just hear it as noise that sounded all the same.

At the risk of sounding like Mike (he does this much better): The player isn't responsible for how the listener hears/listens. We just try to play with integrity and be true to our own musical thoughts. Listening is always subjective.

Being able to give a particular mode/scale/chord a name doesn't make it more understood or listenable, it just pidgin-holes it. Musicians need to communicate between each other so that they can play together; that's where the nomenclature is most useful. I'm basically lazy so just use my ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not sure if jrintaha meant wrong notes or out of tune?

Right notes but I feel they're slightly out of tune - or it may be that my ear is out of tune. The second time you play the same lick, I feel they are in tune. But really a very minor issue and I would not even have noticed it if I hadn't listened to the song very carefully many times through.

Right notes but I feel they're slightly out of tune - or it may be that my ear is out of tune. The second time you play the same lick, I feel they are in tune. But really a very minor issue and I would not even have noticed it if I hadn't listened to the song very carefully many times through.

Sorry, got to bust this one. If one of them is out of tune both of them are. The section at 1:46 and 3:09 are identical. It's a cut and paste. Have had comments about lots of my stuff being too short, so this is a cut and paste repeat to fill out the piece a little more. They are either both in tune or both out of tune. If you'd like you can copy these two sections and put one over the other (after lining them up) and find that they are identical. I think it's just that tension/passing tone that starts the first phrase that's got you. The second time you're ears are ready for it.

Having something that’s in there that jars or disturbs, but that then becomes listenable/understood so quickly I’d like to think of as a good thing. The piece is mellow, but wasn’t meant to be bland.

Back
Top Bottom