Vintage saxes here?

Bunny

Hi and thanks to all the love and support I have had here...and such a huge welcome, advice and friendship since I joined a couple of weeks ago. I have had offers to visit and stay with new friends across the country and I am blown away...haha good for sax players!!

Anyway...as an update. My black Wurlitzer American turns out to be a Martin Handcraft from the 1920s.I was lucky enough to go to Steve Howard's workshop to show him,and he evaluated the work it needs doing on it...as it had got too hard to play. He loved it and said it was a lovely rare instrument (look at the reviews on his site!!)Anyway He played it...much more puff than I have...and it sounded wonderful;I heard its voice in a way I never have before. Can't imagine what it will sound like when it is all set up and sorted. It is going in in a couple of weeks time to have a thorough service,nothing drastic...but its leaking all over and the odd pad needs reseating but it as near mint cond as you get for something from the 20s!!!

Anyway Ive been listening to more sax players on youtube this week...I am a sax virgin here I really don't know the work, though I do know the names of, famous old horn players. SO I looked and I listened...looking for the tone that I know really pleases me...cos I know exactly the tone am looking to work towards.

Well I listened to Gerald Albright. Brilliant to listen to, loved him,very contemporary but too jazzy sound for me. Then Sonny Stitt that someone had mentioned..now we are getting closer...then the inevitable Charlie Parker...and that is it!!! The beautiful mellow creamy sound that seems effortless...so I got a whole lot of listening and reading to do to be a "Birdophile" but what gob-smacked me...was that he , amongst the many horns he traded for gear (heroin) he played a Martin Handcraft...you can see it in the famous shot of him with Miles Davis!!! I know the stories are hard to ascertain but one of his mp set ups was a Otto Link Stm, which came with my Martin ehrn hubbie bought it for me years ago on impulse cos it looked nice, and a bit different from anything in the shop!!! Yes by 80 yrs!!

Now I am not saying I am the next Charlie Parker..if only, in a dream.....!!! But I had to smile at the synchronicity of being given the sax and mp that will enable me to get somewhere in that range of sounds.

The point of this message is to ask if I can join in with any of you guys or girls out there who like ballads, swing, vintage sax stuff? Any other Martin players out there.I still find this site a little overwhelming and it maybe more appropriate that we discuss allthis on a different part of the forum, but I thought I'd come here to introduce the topic.

Fave Parker recording?Other older sax players who play in a similar genre/style...I just need to learn...its like I've had this sax for about 8 yrs and hardly touched it when I was working as a teacher...now is MY time to explore Goldie (Thanks Tom) and learn to fly with her

Lorna

thomsax

The point of this message is to ask if I can join in with any of you guys or girls out there who like ballads, swing, vintage sax stuff? Any other Martin players out there.I still find this site a little overwhelming and it maybe more appropriate that we discuss allthis on a different part of the forum, but I thought I'd come here to introduce the topic.
But It's hard to hear the differences betwenn saxes.

A thread for more and less known Martin saxplayers and thier music? Sounds good to me. I'm not sure that I can upload recordings or clips due to the rules. I have six Martins that I keep in as good playing condition as possible. Time and money are the limit for me. I have a lot of recordings with Martin players, most in the R&B and R&R field, but it's hard to hear the difference between saxes.

Pete Thomas played "The Martin Tenor" and a Martin Handcraft baritone. He has some soundclips from his CDs on his website. Maybe we should move to Famous Saxplayers or Horns & Acc ... department?

Thomas

OP
B

Bunny

Hi Thomas if I send you my email address on a private message you could maybe send me the info and clips where they are ladable/ I am also interested in players on this group that like vintage saxes esp Martins.
I am not sure how to explain exactly what I mean...I like listening to sax in more or less any form. But when I think what do I want to sound like, I know how I DON@T want to sound which is very "edgy"buzzy jazz sounding. I like the tone that is more akin to Clarinet in tone, probably a more classical sound. I am not talking good and bad here,just what i prefer and haven't got the proper vocab to explain!!!! who would you recommend that playslike that...on a Martin or not, not bothered!!! Lorna

O.C.V.

Hi, Bunny,
Try a listen to Art Pepper, he was a Martin player with what I would rate as a beautiful tone. He was influenced by Parker but never became a clone, as some did.
O.C.V.

OP
B

Bunny

Thanks for that O.C.V ht is the sort of info I want. Having said I liked Parker's tone it was on a particular track I was referring to. There is a film of him in the studio playing and his set up on that sounds slightly harsher...people make a lot of the fact that he used heroin. Well I worked with users for a long time, and I am not sure whther you can say it made his playing better or worse, it was just an integralpart of him and who he was.

Lorna

thomsax

I'm going to upload new music to my site on Live 365 . My ordinary computer broke down so I have to fix the computer first.

TomMapfumo

I've only got a Martin Imperial Tenor Trombone from 1952 but can I join in.....? It has the same range as a Baritone sax!:w00t:;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Bunny - do look up both Gilad Atzmon and Matt Wates as two excellent Alto Sax players. Gilad has recently done an interesting tribute to Bird, which is worth getting.........and Matt Wates knows a thing or two about swing!

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

I've only got a Martin Imperial Tenor Trombone from 1952 but can I join in.....? It has the same range as a Baritone sax!:w00t:;}

Kind regards
Of course!! If you make a mouthpipe with cork so you play with a tenorsax mouthpiece you can play some very funky tones on your tenor trobone. High screaming instrument. A reggae ballad on a Martin trombone!! Sounds great to me.

Thomas

OP
B

Bunny

Course you can join i Tom you were one of the first to welcome me here!! Like I said I am just out to find out bout vintage sound made then or now, presumably on vintage instruments or their equivalents? Oh I don't know!! I know what I want to find out.and I am on a journey...haha, suddenly had a picture of myself on the Yellow brick road to find the Wizard....now who is the Lon and who the tin man?

I willlook up tose names. There is also a amily rumour/legend that the 30s Bandleader Jack Payne was part of my family...I am doubtful but at some point will need to find out if it's true!! Swing might be in the genes?

Bunny

Sunray

Hi Thomas if I send you my email address on a private message you could maybe send me the info and clips where they are ladable/ I am also interested in players on this group that like vintage saxes esp Martins.
I am not sure how to explain exactly what I mean...I like listening to sax in more or less any form. But when I think what do I want to sound like, I know how I DON@T want to sound which is very "edgy"buzzy jazz sounding. I like the tone that is more akin to Clarinet in tone, probably a more classical sound. I am not talking good and bad here,just what i prefer and haven't got the proper vocab to explain!!!! who would you recommend that playslike that...on a Martin or not, not bothered!!! Lorna
Hey Hey Bunny ...

I only joined a couple of days ago and I am a real beginner ...

I got my first instrument [Alto] only a week or so ago and I have never learned [as yet] to read music ... [reading loads of books on the subject right now]

But - I think this sound my be something like you describe - Fausto Papetti - an Italian Guy [I love his style] - Give it a listen ...

There are many of his video clips on UTube ...

Hope that helps ... Cheers :cheers:

Phil Edwards

Hey great thread from a big fan of Martin altos. I play a 1936 Handcraft committee, it was the first sax I bought about 25 years ago (who said don't learn on a vintage instrument?), and I still play it today. Won't ever sell it. Been tempted a couple of times and tried new instruments but couldn't see any reason (with a budget of £2k) to change, nothing felt as good to me. Stephen Howard looks after it when it needs it, I absolutely love it.

Two of my favourites are mentioned above. Art Pepper is my all time great, and Sonny Stitt is good, but look out for Sonny Criss too. If you can find his recording of West Coast Blues you'll hear one of the greatest examples of blues on an alto you'll hear.

pm if you want to know more or can't find a recording - there aren't many around.

regards, Phil

OP
B

Bunny

Hey Hey Bunny ...

I got my first instrument [Alto] only a week or so ago and I have never learned [as yet] to read music ... [reading loads of books on the subject right now]

But - I think this sound my be something like you describe - Fausto Papetti - an Italian Guy [I love his style] - Give it a listen ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEMNhsRSnw

Hi Thomas...thanks for replying and you are right Fausto Papetti is one of the sounds I am trying to emulate, really essy like he is just breathing it out.

Good luck if you are new to reading notes... I know some goood resources to help if you would like. I use to sing in a choir so I can follow a basic stave and time values. If you an get a copy of a tutor book by John Dankworth I'd get it because it is brilliant and I found it so more motivational than all the tutor books out there. ALso don't be afraid to grab your sax and just try and play a tune, no ruke says you cant. First time I picked one up I played a simple version of fly me to the moon ie the tune and no flourished, and part of Moondance. I out a CD on called Soft Sax and just tried to play along and found I could, and thatreally helped me. If you can find a teacher do...they will bring a discipplne to your learning you may not have. I first touched a sax in 97...if you putall my playing time together out of that it amounts to no more than 6 straightmonths. SO when my sax is serviced it is back to the beginning. DO private message me if I can help as a relative knowlede. Also because I am a teacher and know all about how people learn I found someuseful tips and things that maximise every practice session!!

Little My

Practice makes better.
Two of my favourites are mentioned above. Art Pepper is my all time great, and Sonny Stitt is good, but look out for Sonny Criss too. If you can find his recording of West Coast Blues you'll hear one of the greatest examples of blues on an alto you'll hear.

pm if you want to know more or can't find a recording - there aren't many around.
That Sonny Criss track is on Spotify, it's great! Thanks for the suggestion. Can I add that it's well worth signing up for the free service on Spotify - I find 20hours is ample and there is just so much on there. Highly recommended.

Sunray

Hi Thomas...thanks for replying and you are right Fausto Papetti is one of the sounds I am trying to emulate, really essy like he is just breathing it out.

Good luck if you are new to reading notes... I know some goood resources to help if you would like. I use to sing in a choir so I can follow a basic stave and time values. If you an get a copy of a tutor book by John Dankworth I'd get it because it is brilliant and I found it so more motivational than all the tutor books out there. ALso don't be afraid to grab your sax and just try and play a tune, no ruke says you cant. First time I picked one up I played a simple version of fly me to the moon ie the tune and no flourished, and part of Moondance. I out a CD on called Soft Sax and just tried to play along and found I could, and thatreally helped me. If you can find a teacher do...they will bring a discipplne to your learning you may not have. I first touched a sax in 97...if you putall my playing time together out of that it amounts to no more than 6 straightmonths. SO when my sax is serviced it is back to the beginning. DO private message me if I can help as a relative knowlede. Also because I am a teacher and know all about how people learn I found someuseful tips and things that maximise every practice session!!
Hey Bunny ...

Glad to help with Fausto Papetti ... ;}

Thanks very much for your offer ... I would be keen to follow up on the tutorial book you mention By John Dankworth but a web search hasn't helped. Can you tell me the full name of his book please ... :thankyou:

PS - I am Sunray not "Thomas" [He is the good looking one who plays his sax like a master]. *Big Smile*

OP
B

Bunny

Hi Sunray...I checked and te book is still orderable from my local music store.t will help

Bunny
It is called "Sax from the start" John Dankworth ISBN9781844175437...well that is what the guy told me..it isnt written for Kids and doesn't start with Baa baa black sheep etc. He really stresses the important features. Did you say you couldn't read music?Let me know I can think of something thar

TomMapfumo

The Sax from the Start book is available on eBay at £10.99 with £1.99 P&P(Musicroom at £9.99)

Would also recommend "Jazz Method for Alto Saxophone" by John O'Neill - Amazon have had it at a good price. (£13.29 inc. CD)

Kind regards

Sunray

Hi Sunray...I checked and te book is still orderable from my local music store.t will help

Bunny
It is called "Sax from the start" John Dankworth ISBN9781844175437...well that is what the guy told me..it isnt written for Kids and doesn't start with Baa baa black sheep etc. He really stresses the important features. Did you say you couldn't read music?Let me know I can think of something thar
Thanks Bunny, I will get me a copy ...

Yep - I can't read music, but I am finding many resources on the web to help me ...

Cheers ...

--------------

@ Tom - Thanks mate £10.99 seems good ... I already have Jazz Method for Alto Saxophone" by John O'Neill

Taz

Busking Oracle
HI Bunny, I know your looking for alto players to "get a feel" for what you want, but I just thought I'd introduce you to one of my favourites, Ben Webster. He doesn't even play a Martin I'm afraid, he plays a selmer balanced action and a otto link new york master link 4*, I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi & welcome. I love the sound of the old saxes. Am really tempted by a 'The Martin'. Keep with it... I've also got a modren Chinese Alto - has no soul, must sell it, bought it for practicing repairs on.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hey Hey Bunny ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEMNhsRSnw

WOW Thanks for the link that's truely amazing and really shows the range attainable on a sax,if that's not almost trumpet like I don't know what is...john

Top Bottom