support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Vintage Sax worth?

It is a curved soprano saxophone.

The 1914 patent was used by Buescher and Conn - two American saxophone manufacturers.
It may be a “stencil” instrument - made by one manufacturer for a different company.
@MJC - does it have a company name on the bell?

It looks like it has rolled tone holes, which may mean that it was made by Conn, in which case the serial number suggests that it was made in 1922.
The “L” means that it is Low Pitch - which is good - it has modern tuning.

So it is a Conn New Wonder 1 low-pitch curved soprano, made in 1922.
I can't tell from the pictures whether it is silver plated or nickel-plated.
@MJC - is it golden coloured inside the bell ("gold-wash bell")?

Here are some pictures to compare:
Photo Gallery :: SaxPics.com

Last edited:
The value of the saxophone depends on its condition, and in this case on the condition of the leather pads. It looks to me as if the pads are old, and that some of them may be missing.

So there are two questions you need answers for:
1. How much would it cost to get the saxophone into playable condition?
2. How much could it fetch if it was in playable condition?

Its current value is the difference between the two.

@JayeNM may be able to help.

@JayeNM may be able to help.
My ears started twitching (and not from the usual bugs).

OK so here is one thing yet to be mentioned, and it is fairly important when it comes to valuation:

The sax is only keyed up to high Eb, if I am correct in interpreting the pics (I see only 2 side keys then the F# trill key below the two; and 2 palm keys stacked above the upper stack...and if you compare your horn to the second like which @Wade Cornell provided, you will see the eBay horn - although absurdly priced considering it needs an overhaul - has the 3 side keys and the LH palm keys are no longer in-line with the upper stack).

A curious and somewhat puzzling reality...since the eFlay horn is OLDER than the OP's horn, so one would expect the opposite....

OK, so....that is the bad news.

Last edited:
The GOOD news is: it IS Silverplate, and it looks like the plating is in fine shape too.

Also the horn overall seems to have been neither abused nor neglected, so that is a plus.

Lastly...those mouthpieces. Please tell us what they read. Because those are not Soprano mouthpieces to mine eyes. And if they are vintage mouthpieces, you may have some very nice 'case candy' there and those mouthpieces may be worth a decent penny.

So...back to the horn....

A New Wonder I, keyed only up to Eb, silverplate, in good physical shape but likely needing at least a repad has a market value (US) of around $375-450.
IF it plays some on its old pads, perhaps $500-550 on a good day.

If it had been keyed up to high F, as a p[roject horn it would have been worth a good $800-900, and after a repad it'd be worth $1600 pretty easy.

But the lack of high F hurts the value/desirability significantly.

Now only other thing I can say here is this: on eBay, it is somewhat COMMON that bidders fail to notice the keying on old curvies.
They see the name....they see the finish....they see it is a curvy, so they conclude "valuable".

I have seen old curvies keyed up to Eb go for MORE than my estimates solely because - while the pics clearly showed the side keys and palm keys - the bidders were obviously not very astute...and the seller didn't particularly specify it was keyed only up to Eb (sometimes because the seller honestly didn't know much about saxes, so no real fault of theirs).

My ears started twitching (and not from the usual bugs).

OK so here is one thing yet to be mentioned, and it is fairly important when it comes to valuation:

The sax is only keyed up to high Eb, if I am correct in interpreting the pics (I see only 2 side keys then the F# trill key below the two; and 2 palm keys stacked above the upper stack...and if you compare your horn to the second like which @Wade Cornell provided, you will see the eBay horn - although absurdly priced considering it needs an overhaul - has the 3 side keys and the LH palm keys are no longer in-line with the upper stack).

A curious and somewhat puzzling reality...since the eFlay horn is OLDER than the OP's horn, so one would expect the opposite....

OK, so....that is the bad news.

There is a Conn from 1916 in Saxpics that has high E and F keys.
So maybe it was an optional extra.

There is a Conn from 1916 in Saxpics that has high E and F keys.
So maybe it was an optional extra.
Yes, that's very interesting ! I suppose it was still of an era where high Eb in Sops and Baritones was still the norm....It's just that in these cases, unlike say the Baritone (which would only require a different upper bow soldered on, then the add'l keywork; IOW just a few pieces grafted on to the stock high Eb-equipped Baritone)....the BODY tubes of the non-F soprano and the high F one are actually different, because besides just one added tonehole - the tonehole placement of the latter is completely different (it isn't just drawing one additional tonehole into the existing Eb bodies what I'm sayin'). Just interesting.

Last edited:
All you are amazing and very gracious with your assistance and KNOWLEDGE!!
I will provide more detailed photos of the sax and mouth pieces.

The pads may not be as bad as I thought.
It has a “gold wash” bell.
The modern mouthpieces also give clues to it having been played (somewhat) recently, so not likely to be original pads or strictly a closet horn.
Yup, goldwash bell helps resale...and has a modern case too....sooooo...could be this sax actually is in playable shape now, or nmeeding relatively minimal tech servicing; which would be a plus for you, Mark.

Do you know any sax players who can playtest it ?

Now how do I get a real appraisal?
Is this some kind of certification you need for insurance? It will most likely be very different from what it is actually worth on the open market. Not that in the ebay links neither of those horns are sold yet. The second one is a stupid price. I think round about $1000 is most likely if it is in very good playing condition. But an insurance appraisal should be a lot higher, ie what it would cost if you had to quickly get one and pay through the nose at a dealer.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom