All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Saxophones Vintage Rampone curved soprano

Hackenbush

I've come across a Rampone curved soprano (serial no. 94xxx) which I believe was made in 1994.

The price is low for a Rampone so does anyone know whether it'd be worth pursuing?

As far as I can tell they introduced the R1 model in the late '90s but the company has been in the same hands since 1990.

Thanks!

rhysonsax

My Rampone & Cazzanni semi-curved (saxello style) gold-plated soprano is an R1 model and a wonderful instrument.

It's a few years old, possibly 10-15, but its serial number is 22xxx so that looks very different to the one you have come across.

Can you find out more information ?

Rhys

OP
H

Hackenbush

Thanks, Rhys, I think that means your saxello dates from 2002.

It seems R&C reinvented themselves as a boutique saxophone maker some time in the 1990s.
Prior to that, they built instruments in much larger quantities and they were, unsurprisingly, of poorer quality (the quality really dropped off in the '80s).

The shop selling the instrument was closed today but I'll contact them tomorrow for more information - I doubt, though, if they'll be any the wiser.

The sax has been overhauled and is a bit rough around the edges, but the price is only £595.

rhysonsax

Thanks @Hackenbush - a date of 2002 makes sense for my R&C saxello.

I'm confused how the curvie you mention has a serial number of 94xxx and dates from eight years earlier than mine with its 22xxx serial number. I suppose that means they restarted or reset their serial numbers sometime after 1994.

I have a couple of old catalogues from Woodwind & Brasswind in the USA, dating from 1997 and 1999. They both include R&C saxes, but only the sopranino, saxello and curved and they call them "Deluxe Models" rather than R1. I suppose that may be their own terminology rather than R&Cs. The description and photographs look very similar to my R1.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Thanks @Hackenbush - a date of 2002 makes sense for my R&C saxello.

I'm confused how the curvie you mention has a serial number of 94xxx and dates from eight years earlier than mine with its 22xxx serial number. I suppose that means they restarted or reset their serial numbers sometime after 1994.
Or does the R&C serial numbering system use the first two digits to represent the year rather than just running consecutively ?

Rhys

OP
H

Hackenbush

That's right.

From someone on the 'other' saxophone forum:

1998 = 98xxx
1999 = 99xxx
2000 = 20xxx
2001 = 21xxx

2009 = 29xxx
2010 = 10xxx
2011 = 11xxx

Waiting for more info on the curved soprano but thanks for the catalogue reference - I'm pretty sure the "Deluxe" models are somehow inferior to the R1s.

rhysonsax

And that numbering scheme only allows them to make 1,000 saxophones per year. Presumably that covers all three model lines so it is very much a boutique manufacturer.

Rhys

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom