• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOLD Vintage Conn Alto - £140!

jonf

OK, don't go getting all giddy. This is a vintage Conn alto, but at that price there're obviously a few things to take into consideration. These are:

• It is a stencil, badged as a Kalashen's Kleartone. Kalashens was a New York music shop which bought in Conn instrument's under their own name.
  • It has PTFE tape instead of neck cork
  • It has old pads, which are really quite tired.
  • It has no lacquer at all.

On the other hand:

• It plays.
  • The pads are just about sealing, although the bottom Bb is leaky.
  • It is remarkably undented for such an old horn. Bottom bow has no dents, just one or two minor indentations. Very small ding in the neck, not enough to affect tuning. That's it.
  • Everything's there, and works. Even the usually troublesome forked F thingy. Straight tone holes, not the tricky rolly ones.
  • It has no lacquer at all. Nice patina.

I bought this thinking I'd strip it right down, do a full repad and reassemble, but I really don't have the time, so it's over to someone else to do so. So, for £140 you get a good vintage sax which really could do with a bit of work. You might get away with replacing one or two pads and oiling the action, but that's not what I'd do. Will be supplied in a modern case. 5% to the forum charity fund. Delivery at cost, which for an alto is usually about £14-£16, or can be collected from central London. Alternatively, for anyone living between central London and Surrey/Sussex borders I may be able to drop off free of charge.

P1020816.jpgP1020811.jpgP1020812.jpgP1020815.jpg

:thumb:

Jon

so ya lost the bidding war ??? or did you win ???
lost the bidding, sure someone was using a bidding software to gazzump me, winning bid was 377quid and i even clicked 400 bid with a few seconds to goo but it would not let my bid go through, rigged i reckon!

Now sold and donation made. Thanks to the purchaser and to the Forum for the sales facility. So much more pleasing than using well known auction sites.

lost the bidding, sure someone was using a bidding software to gazzump me, winning bid was 377quid and i even clicked 400 bid with a few seconds to goo but it would not let my bid go through, rigged i reckon!

If it was an Ebay.co.uk item, there's a PC app/extension from Ebay that makes those last minute bids for you - just looking for it but can't find it. Or was it a Chrome extension?

yes I spotted it on sunday. He's not done a great deal to it and doesn't disclose whether or not it actually plays. It should be an ace sax if it's fully set up as there was nothing wrong with the body. I like the way he says he's selling it for someone else tho, a retired sax teacher I think he said. That's funny bc he purchased it from me about 4-5 weeks ago. But I'm not bothered, I just had a little chuckle to myself >:)

Hopefully a happy ending for this sax! It has been sold on eBay 3 times recently. I received it today and will be restoring it. My first project!

I also has a chucked at the fibs about it's history. Somewhere along the line the modern case was substituted for a really tatty one too.

Seems as though it was loved in the past as condition surprisingly good.

Do you know anymore about it?

hahahaha, yes I saw this. I was flabbergasted it has been on eBay 3 times since I only recently sold it LOL - and the guy I sold it to under the guise of 'saxslayer' fibbed about its history too saying he was selling it for a music teacher. He did alright out of me as he made £100 (pffft) but there we go, that's how it goes! Good luck with it and please post progress and a sound clip if you can :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom