support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

Vintage C melody sax

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
Ok, I may not be getting the sax I wanted as it's not ready for playing yet and may be some time in the workshop, plus it's probably a bit out of my league price wise. I am looking for a working C melody sax or one that only needs minor adjustment - not an overhaul. I'd prefer the tenor neck and silver plate but my budget is £250 tops so of course I will consider most options! It's for me to use in a blues band, simply b/c they would like me to use alto, tenor and baritone but the C does it all and when you're trollied you don't have to think thru a haze of red wine! haha :) PM if you have one available as I would like to see photos etc.
Thank you

There was one on ebay.com for 199 usd. Looked quite good, dont think it sold so it may be up for resale. About 85 usd shipping and you may get stuffed for duty. I fancied it, but I CANNOT WILLNOT spend any more money this month on saxophone stuff. It would be cheaper to take up cocaine.

Ps. It may not be listed as C melody, the bloke thought it was tenor, then started calling it something else. But is is or was a C melody.
Mike

...really, really badly.

Why on earth would anyone want one? They're horrible. If I wanted to sound like a cow, I'd get a cow.

C melody is a strange thing. Lot of people own or owned one, but they seldom use them on stage.
Luckily I don't have one.
I would probably stick with tenor, in your blues band. Asking to bring three horns is cruelty.

I have played mine on stage although not that often and with the right mpc it sounds great.

C melody saxes are not very fashionable now like they used to be many years ago but i would question your statement about the "do it all" because they just do the same as an alto or tenor and are no more use in a band than a alto or tenor.
You should be able to find a good playable one for your budget,but try to find one thats had an overhaul already done,mine cost me under £300 and it had already had a full overhaul just before i bought it,that way you are picking the sax up for next to nothing seeing that an overhaul will cost around £250ish

Brian

There was one on ebay.com for 199 usd. Looked quite good, dont think it sold so it may be up for resale. About 85 usd shipping and you may get stuffed for duty. I fancied it, but I CANNOT WILLNOT spend any more money this month on saxophone stuff. It would be cheaper to take up cocaine.
Hahaha that is funny but there is probably alot of truth in that cocaine would be cheaper! I don't think it would help my nostril problem much tho so better stick to the booze! I'm in for a divorce if I get any more - I'm just trying to think how I can hide saxophones around my 1 bed flat!!!

...really, really badly.

Why on earth would anyone want one? They're horrible. If I wanted to sound like a cow, I'd get a cow.

I never did want one but having since listened to them on various youtube videos I do like them - ok, maybe they don't quite 'do it all' and perhaps there are some right duffers out there that sound horrid but there's something charming about them. I know I could get alot of money for a saxophone lamp tho!! I suppose some people would consider them as the violas of the sax world? I'm also a violin player and I must admit to seeing violas in the orchestra as a pointless, oversied, ugly string instrument that reads in a ridiculous cleff :)

I have a Buescher C-melody tenor (from around 1927 i think), low-pitch Truetone - (= modern pitch A=440Hz), in good working / playing order. Silver plate, & Gold-wash bell, plate is in good condition , though worn slightly on bell, a few light repairs & pings, i can get pics & some video to you in a day or so. With its original case, (busted handle), and i'll find a (alto?) mouthpiece or two for you. So PM or reply me if you're interested

I was/am about to list it on eBay & youtube, with some other horns all in good playing order.
(a Conn Bb sop 1926, York(Buescher stencil) gold-plated alto 1930?, Pennsylvania Special bari 35?)

Do you know the Pennsylvania Specials were made by Kohlert?

Last edited by a moderator:
here's a few pics of the Buescher C melody

SAM_0030.jpg

SAM_0034.jpg

SAM_0036.jpg

SAM_0037.jpg

SAM_0038.jpg

SAM_0041.jpg

SAM_0043.jpg

SAM_0044.jpg

here's the C-mel 'in action": Saxgirl has "first dibs" on this for a few days,
after that i'll list here for a week, then it's wEEvilbay.
-
Do I need to add in the excuses about the buuhm-notes , ropey improvisation & dodgy haircut??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom