support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Viking M40 Acoustic Balance Tenor Saxophone

I saw one on UK E-bay with a BIN of £1300 and it didn't sell . going by Vikings site, it looks like a serious contender in the Hotrod Taiwanese horn stakes, based on the original Selmer Balanced action complete with BA styled bell key guards . I believe they do a similar kind of "horn whispering" to Cannonball (acoustic tuning or whatever) ........

I see Viking as very alike cannonball without the "adventurous" pricing, Hype and silly marketing hangups . from everything I`ve read about them, they seem honest down to earth and just want to put quality horns into peoples hands . could be the best value out there of the Taiwanese horn hotrodders .. I`d certainly consider one A:- as Main Alto or B:- "Different" tenor if I had the money for the former or the money and inclanation for the latter .

https://www.saxquest.com/product/vi...-m40cb-acoustic-balance-tenor-saxophone-P6001

Thanks Ads. Am aware of the brand and their background and now I want to find out from a player's point of view what they are actually like. I saw that one on eBay, nice horn.

FYI I know this is an old thread but the M40 Acoustic Balance has been replace by the M60 Valkyrie and we still have the m58s but updated materials and added a new 808 lor neck

Attachments

• m60 m58s 068 revised.jpg
    m60 m58s 068 revised.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 233
You have a tough crowd over there. Stores are just not receptive. I have customers in France, Sweden, Austria and many other countries. All I need is one store to carry the line in the UK and I'm positive people will appreciate the build quality and the sound.

Last edited:
Viking ------ I guess the market isn`t exactly short of Taiwanese Hotrods - there`s TJ, Cannonball, Sequoia, System-54, Mauriat, Bauhaus-Earth, Conn-Selmer and of course Viking - What I see that you have done in the USA is undercut the others by a noticeable margin whilst keeping the quality ..

IF you can get the things into the UK and on dealers shelves at around TJ SR money then you'll stand a chance , may even clean up if you can get well known players to endorse but you`re onto a hiding for nothing at higher prices with the TJ RAW (Pretty much the best known and respected TW hotrod in the UK) making the £1600-£2000 area its own in this field ...

Prob is getting them here and into the likes of Sax.co at a competitive price

Last edited:
Viking ------ I guess the market isn`t exactly short of Taiwanese Hotrods

What exactly is a "hotrod"? Does it have extra exhausts or oversized tyres? The last time I looked they looked just like any other sax, after so many years and reputable makes and models in production maybe it's time to start considering them more than just "upstarts" or "hot rods" + I hate that word !
Rant over, peace, M.

ones which are tweaked, tuned, improved over the run of the mill generic Taiwanese horns , whether Blinged to death in America, hand assembled in the UK or using parts from other countries , selected better quality parts etc . aim (and often achieved) a better horn than the standard TW horns such as Jupiter 7 and 9 series, TJ revolution etc ..

I think it all started with Mauriat and the last word in it is the fabulous Andy Sheppard Tenor

Back
Top Bottom