All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Very low start price Yanagisawa baritone

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
If you look at the other items he's selling, including an ICE RINK (?!) he uses the same closing words in the description. But canny scammers sometimes list other items to try and convince a buyer they're for real.

An Ice Rink though?

But... then look at his previous sale:

That looks more like a normal description and does NOT use a squashed up "No reserve,cash or paypal.thank you." at the end.

Jimmymack

Locality
London
I rarely buy from eBay but I thought that when you paid by paypal the odds were heavily weighted in favour of the buyer so this is definitely disturbing information here. The ice rink is only a penny at the moment though. Although the postage is a bit high.

Last edited:

laceypaul

Locality
Hampshire, UK
As others have said, the advert looks very suspicious.

When you request photographs you could ask for specific things to be in shot to give you confidence that the instrument actually exists (not just stock pictures from the web) and is in the seller's position now. So maybe ask for close-ups of the serial number, the neck assembled to the body, the floor peg assembled and a current UK newspaper in the shot.

Also be very, very careful when paying to make sure you are protected if nothing is delivered or it is completely different to what was described and shown in the advert.

Good luck.

Rhys
Thanks Rhys.

I have requested close up photo's of all the relevant things. I don't think the pot's are stock ones. There is nothing on the web like them. Also crook and one peg is out of plastic, wrapping an unlikely stock photo + image 3 shows a small scratch to the bell. I was concerned a bit about the white background, but this is an Ebay feature available to all.

As for protection, Ebay and PayPal both protect if you use them as intended so I'm not worried about that.

Paul

laceypaul

Locality
Hampshire, UK
You could pay and receive a fake Yani or even a box of bricks. Tricky arguing with PayPal then.

Conversely, when selling a high value item the buyer tells eBay/PayPal the item is a fake and sends you back a faked version of what you sold to get their money back - that one is a known scam for Chanel handbags.
I've found Ebay and PayPal very good with any issues I've had. I use Ebay a lot and am a concierge member, so get "human" phone access when needed. I once bought a Cor Anglais which turned out to be stolen. Even though it was beyond the 45 day limit PayPal still gave me my money back!! If it's fake or a box of bricks, then I'll get my money back.

Paul

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I smelt a rat with my £200 Selmer MkVII Bari... but it's sitting upstairs.

So you may be OK, but against you are: "North"; spelling; grammar; 99p start on £13k horn; no reserve; 3 day listing.

Keep us posted with what he says. Seems like you have good experience.

What took you so long to join us here by the way? Oh... and welcome to the Cafe.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands

So you may be OK, but against you are: "North"; spelling; grammar; 99p start on £13k horn; no reserve; 3 day listing.

What took you so long to join us here by the way? Oh... and welcome to the Cafe.
Well your Bari was more than probably stolen, no one files the serial No off unless they don't want it traceable.

laceypaul

Locality
Hampshire, UK

Interesting, as to the best of my knowledge, Selmer didn't make a MKV11 Baritone (or Soprano), onlt Alto's and Tenors.

sax0naut

Locality
Germany
I have a B-9930 and the instrument itself looks legit.

But especially the first two pictures extremely remind me on the ones QuinnTheEskimo took for his auctions some years ago.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom