All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Very Cheap Rampone & Cazzani

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Some one will shortly I'm sure probably all away for Easter :)

Jamesmac

Some one will shortly I'm sure probably all away for Easter :)

Perhaps, but surprisingly they are not a keeper sax according to some posts on SOTW forum. Which is surprising as they are also compared to the old American vintage and particularly the Conn Tenors. And they seem to have a great Italian family craftsmanship pedigree.:)

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Like Borgani who brought out there Jubilee horns Rampone there R1 range. These are there best horns. The Ponzol and deluxe borgs are also nice. Anything other than these modern horns by them are not there best but hey I bet theres still some cracking older models for sure. I think both firms have been making horns longer than Selmer. Theres truly a special unique feeling and sound on pure hand made Italian horns. Both of them don't and have never tried to sound like a Selmer, the French sound and that's a special thing. I've had 4 Borgs and now a R&C and there just huge dark beasts. Yea more Conn like for sure.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
It's not an R&C, it was made before the two firms merged. These are quite rare and there's not a lot of info around. Maybe pm Milandro for more info. Hopefully he knows something about them.

My guess would be that it's well made, with heavyish keywork and intonation you'd need to work on. I'd hesitate to guess on sound, but I'd expect it to be darkish/lush.

It won't work out that cheap when you add in postage, customs and dent/pad work.

Jamesmac

@ Kev. Thanks Kev, not thinking of importing, just curious why these handmade instruments with a fine tradition are not that popular. I think you have hit the nail on the head, with the intonation of the older models.
@ Davey. Yeah it looks like the newer models are the best option, particularly if you prefer the darker sound to the more focused French/Selmer sound. BTW. You sound great on your new R & C.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
@ Kev. Thanks Kev, not thinking of importing, just curious why these handmade instruments with a fine tradition are not that popular. I think you have hit the nail on the head, with the intonation of the older models.
@ Davey. Yeah it looks like the newer models are the best option, particularly if you prefer the darker sound to the more focused French/Selmer sound. BTW. You sound great on your new R & C.

Thanks now. Best I find it is the R&C is atad more darker than the Borganis. To see the size of the neck bore on the R&C, HOLY COW,,, huge. Both are very American Conn like but way better intonation and very good slick modern ergonomics. Best of both worlds.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I don't think it's all that cheap. It would work out about £600, which for a sax which then requires a repad and overhaul isn't great. Total cost of purchase and a full overhaul would be around the thousand pound mark. I'd guess you could do better for that.

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
It's not an R&C, it was made before the two firms merged. These are quite rare and there's not a lot of info around. Maybe pm Milandro for more info. Hopefully he knows something about them.

My guess would be that it's well made, with heavyish keywork and intonation you'd need to work on. I'd hesitate to guess on sound, but I'd expect it to be darkish/lush.

It won't work out that cheap when you add in postage, customs and dent/pad work.

just saw this by chance, I don’t recall having been asked to comment either in a mail or PM.

I am afraid, Kevin, that your proposition is incorrect, this is a proper Rampone e Cazzani, certainly not a saxophone made before the company existed as such ( “ Ditte riunite" means unified , rather than what one would think, re-unified, and the unification, by way of marriage, is ancient, 1910 to be precise.....long before this horn was made! ).

These are relatively rare “ Solista” models.

A beautiful saxophone that is considered to be, by Rampone & Cazzani themselves, one of the pinnacles of their manufacture at the time these were made. The Solista were made in the golden era of the R&C prior their first serious crisis in 1957.

So the saxophone was probably manufactured in the late 20 or the early ’40. At Rampone they would be able to be more precise but only about the decade and won’t be able to exactly pinpoint the year.

The value of the horn is certainly in the eye of the beholder there isn’t a “ market” price as such.

I agree, it isn’t cheap!

The restoration of a horn like these cannot be undertaken by any technician and needs to use respectful materials like white pads (you don’t want to ruin this with brown or black pads!).

Also, these horns were made for pads that no longer exist and probably need custom made pads to fit the special needs in therms of thickness rather than off the shelf products.

Addendum

As I thought, the pads of this horn appear to have the type of flute pad construction seen on a certain amount of old saxophones. As you can observe the pads appears to have a metal flat resonator with a screw on it, much in the way flute pads are still made.

Flute pads with this system are not glued in the pad. I am not sure that the same system is used also by saxophones.

$_57.JPG

The Buffet Powell Saxophone had a similar system too

Last edited:

tzadik

Locality
Friulandia, Italy
The horn in the ebay auction is definetely "ancient", nothing to compare with a modern R1 Jazz.

The pads look just like white pads with small flat resonators. Many Conn fans like that kind of resos.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom