All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Venus and her Transit.

old git

Tremendous Bore
My astro mates are drooling over the Transit of Venus.

As a bird, she is well fit but her white van aint turbo or supercharged and aint even been bored.

Lot of fuss over nowt.

navarro

Please forum members enough of this banter about Venus it is a momentous occasion, and what is not generally known according to the National Enquirer is that at this very moment Engelbert Humperdinck is [FONT=arial, sans-serif]en route for the said planet. He was heard to remark after his much maligned Eurovision song performance "He would like to get away from it all." and this little trip was arranged. Of course it was explained to him that he would not be able to represent the UK again in the contest for the next hundred years and he retorted "What contest?" Safe journey Humpers. [/FONT]>:) N

rhysonsax

Just to make the obvious saxophone connection - Engelbert (Arnold George Dorsey) used to be a saxophone player (honestly).

Rhys

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Definitely one for the entusiastic collector of the unusual. The only thing in its favour is its rarity. Historically, transits of Venus are important as they provided the first accurate way of calculating the distance from the Earth to the Sun (parallax and trigonometry). Jeremiah Horrocks was an important figure in this, correctly calculating the transit of 1639, and as he came from Liverpool, I obviously have to support him! Sadly, he died in 1641 aged 22.

As to observing it, other than to say you've "seen" a rare phenomenon, it doesn't do much for me. Assuming that you can even see the sun at 5 am tomorrow morning (UK perpspective), whether by projection or suitable filters, there will be a dark spot on the solar disk. Full stop. It may be mathematically interesting, but it lacks the spectacle and drama of say an eclipse (which I have seen).

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
As it happened, I woke up in time but it was cloudy anyway! To paraphrase an earlier comment in the thread: sit transit gloria mundi - usually because - sol obscurantur in nubes!

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
Radius of turn is a bit much at 67 million miles and for some strange reason it can only turn round backwards every 243 days.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Radius of turn is a bit much at 67 million miles and for some strange reason it can only turn round backwards every 243 days.
TV, Why do you have to remind me that I held an ADI licence for thirty years and your remark suggests that things were exactly the same during my limited time with learners. >:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom