support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Vandoren V21 reeds

Lady Biggles

Locality
Belfast
I fell for the pretty new colour of box and the vague but exciting marketing blurb and bought a box of these.

I now see what they mean by 'conical', the heel is narrower than the tip.

I bought 2.5 strength (the softest they do) as I play blue box 2-2.5 (depends on the individual reed!); I sometimes use a V12 2.5. All on the Yani 6 mpc that came with the sax.

I like the sound of the V21. For me, maybe a shade brighter than blue box and not just as loud as the V12. Easier for me in the lower register.

BUT I'm experiencing horrendous squeaks slurring quickly between C (3rd space) and G above, worse when I play loud. This doesn't happen with my other reeds. Is it to do with the reeds being unfiled, the shape, an incompatibility with the mpc? Or do I just need to adjust my technique a little and play the reeds in a bit?

I'd appreciate any wisdom!

(Mods, feel free to move this to the Accessories category if that would be better)

IMO, you are using a 'French' style reed (very thin tip, thick heart) on what is basically an American style mouthpiece. I'm surprised you have not encountered squeaks with the Blue Box and V12s before now.
The strength of the V21s may be encouraging you to put more upward pressure on the reed than is good, which will also (for many reasons) encourage squeaking.
My advice is to try some Vandoren Javas (either Green or Red box) or ZZs in the 2.5 strength or even V16s in perhaps the 2.0 strength (these reeds pretty much work out half a strength softer than the classical ones): these are 'American' style reeds (thicker tip, more flexible heart). It maybe best to buy a handful of separate reeds of different types and strengths to decide which suits you best: most of the on-line shops have the option to buy single reeds instead of boxes.
You may loose a little of the tonal qualities you have become used to by changing reed type, but it should solve the squeaking problem and allow you more flexibility in your playing.
If you really want to stick with BlueBox, V12s and V21s, I recommend you experiment with Selmer's or Vandoren's classical mouthpiece lines, e.g. the Vandoren Optimum AL5 (we are talking alto sax aren't we?) would maybe suit you. It's all about your own personal taste of course.

And yes, the V21s have a pretty box - you can always display it on the mantelpiece! ;)

The vandoren juno reed is american cut unfiled and surprisingly good imo.

Some reeds work and some don't and just when you think you've found the right reed, you get a different batch and they're awful.

There's lots of comparison charts to compare and contrast when trying new reeds.

reed comparison chart - Google Search

You can get packs of 3 vandoren all different. Choice of reed is a very personal thing. Some need a different approach and more attention, some play easily but won't give you that tone you're looking for. It's all a compromise.

Squeaks are altissimo. The good news is you're producing altissimo notes effortlessly. The trick is to squeak in tune ;)

Back
Top Bottom