• V16

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • V21

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • V12

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Account Closed
This is a simple question for those who use Vandoren reeds. You may choose one or two that you like best. Any comments you have related to the question about Vandoren reeds are welcome.

For me, it depends on the mouthpiece. Some mouthpieces work best for me with the classic cuts (blue box, V12, V21), others with the jazz cuts (Java, ZZ,V16). I've mostly used Java Reds, but I use Java Greens on my newest, brightest mouthpiece. My 10mfan Robusto seemed to me to work well with blue box, but even better with Hemke reeds.

I’ve been using the Java Green for a long time. I’ve tried the red, V16 and ZZ, but I still prefer the green. I’ve never tried any of the others. I suppose I should at some point, but I’m very happy with the green.

As someone who's been playing for like ten minutes, I shouldn't even be experimenting, but I do. I read something today here about V21, and I happened to have one, so I tried it. Very different sound, but a bit harder to play for me. I also have played the Blue 3, and although it's a little more effort, the sound is more stable, in long tones. Fascinating, these differences, b ut I'm sure I am slowing the learning process a little. Or you might say, "searching for my sound".

Whenever I buy a new mouthpiece (which is too often), I try various reeds to see which feel best.
I currently use Vandoren blue reeds with my polite bari mouthpiece, La Voz with my shouty bari mouthpiece, Vandoren Green with my tenor Lawton, and so on.

For classical music, nothing can beat the traditionals for me. Its the only reed that helps me get a clear, pure tone.
For jazz I use the V16s because my mouthpiece is also the V16 mouthpeice from vandoren, I havn't mustered up the time and money to experiment yet.

I pretty much only use Vandorens on soprano; V21 on close tips, Java Green on more open tips.
On Alto I like Java Green, but if I were to play classically again, I would use either Blue Box or V21.
On tenor, I am really used to Java Green, but I have come to dislike their characteristic 'fizziness' and I don't like any of Vandoren's other tenor reeds, so I prefer Daddario Select Jazz.

I only use Vandoren on my clarinet.
Rico Royals on my saxes.

Strangely I found the rico royals "stuffy" on my clarinet (even though i have a D'addario mouthpiece on the clarinet)

My teacher loaned me a Vandoren during a lesson and I've never gone back.

For me, it depends on the mouthpiece. Some mouthpieces work best for me with the classic cuts (blue box, V12, V21), others with the jazz cuts (Java, ZZ,V16). I've mostly used Java Reds, but I use Java Greens on my newest, brightest mouthpiece. My 10mfan Robusto seemed to me to work well with blue box, but even better with Hemke reeds.
Yes, I've had the same observation regarding certain Vandorens performing better on a given mouthpiece.
For instance, the Java Greens seem to be a little more responsive with a little more "buzz" on my tenor Morgan Excalibur versus the ZZ and the Java Red.
However, the Java Red seems to match up better with my tenor Sakshama MBI clone.....but I have not experimented very much with the other varieties of Vandoren reeds and this mouthpiece.
I like the Vandoren "Jazz Mix" 4-Pack as a convenient option to put the various Vandoren reeds to the test.

I've been using V16 tenor reeds. I like thick reeeds. The best way to find out what Vandoren reeds that are the best for you is to buy some and try out. What's works for me, don't works for you!?!?!
I always thought of V16s as 'rock friendly' reeds- I used to use them on my old Dukoff when playing with Swampthings (a rather grungey blues and rockabilly street band I played with for many years)