All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Valuation on 2 tenor mouthpieces please.

thesaxman71

2 tenor mouthpieces. Needing valuations of each piece so i can sell them here also with the standard donation...

1... Peter Ponzol Keilworth 7, hard rubber, has a long step chamber (slightly longer than my MB2) with regular lig, no cap but i am sure i can dig 1 out.

2... Berg Larsen, hard rubber, written underneath is 110 0 SMS- (110 - opening, 0 - brightest piece, SMS - French facing with steeper curve) has more of a crescent/bullet chamber with Francois Louis lig, no cap

summary:
the Ponzol is warm and very rounded especially low down but still has a bit edge but maybe that is already from my own sound tho, the Berg Larsen is bright, louder, free blowing and more open, was very surprised how well both pieces blow.

I have posted demo's of each mouthpiece on the sound clips section

thanks,
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
The value of the Berg Larsen will depend more on the date than on anything else. Do you happen to know when it was made or do you have any clues (such as the type of box it came in) ?

I would guess at £140 for the Berg, helped by the FL lig. More if it is a good, unmodified old one and less if it is a recent one, after the move away from England.

As for the Ponzol-Keilwerth I would guess at somewhere like £70, but it depends on whether there is someone out there looking for just this.

Rhys

thesaxman71

The value of the Berg Larsen will depend more on the date than on anything else. Do you happen to know when it was made or do you have any clues (such as the type of box it came in) ?

I would guess at £140 for the Berg, helped by the FL lig. More if it is a good, unmodified old one and less if it is a recent one, after the move away from England.

As for the Ponzol-Keilwerth I would guess at somewhere like £70, but it depends on whether there is someone out there looking for just this.

Rhys
The Berg larsen is unaltered London made original, the Fl ligature is actually an older model ultimate original silver clarinet lig but fits amazing on the Berg Larsen, i spoke to Francois last night about it and he said he stopped making the lig about 4-5 years ago so i guess it is a collectors now :)

the Ponzol is darker and softer sounding and you just have to breathe into it and the sound comes out.

i must admit the Berg Larsen set up sounds great, tempted to keep it, Davey i KNOW you will like this mouthpiece and sound for sure, it is not as loud or bright as my MB2 but still a really good sound, i will try posting a clip of each mouthpiece on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyWhiteford

i use an old HR berg on tenor, one of my 2 gigging pieces.
I think HR is less valuable than the stainless steel ,though,
maybe somewhere between £70 to £110, more for steel..

as for the Ponzol, i have no idea,

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
I looked around for the Ponzol as well but they arent quite common.. Sadly for you in the sax world this doesnt mean valuable.. as many people dont know them so wont pay a lot for it But looking to other HR ponzol pieces.. I'd say roughly between 80 and 100 dollars...

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom