support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones USB Microphones

I'm no expert but I have been trying to use it for some years with various help from other people and I believe the reverb system is one of the let downs with audacity I believe if you double your recording up ie copy it and play the two together it gives you a fuller sound,worth a try perhaps......John

I've had a couple of go's John, but ended up leaving it as the results were horrid. Up to now my recordings are just the basic mic to computer. I'd love to put in a few effects. LOL

I use the echo in effects. Highlight the track by clicking it. effects, drop down menu select echo. At this point you can set the delay and the decay. It takes a little time to process but quite effective with different settings. 0.1 secs delay and 0.25 decay is a good starting point.

Audacity GVerb settings are quite hard for me to understand, but based on what I have read and what others here at the Caff have told me, the following values can be a good starting point.

Roomsize: 40 m3
Reverb time: 2 sec
Damping: 0.8
Input bandwidth: 0.5
Dry signal level: 0 dB
Early reflection level: -30 dB
Tail level: -30 dB

If you copy your "dry" sax recording before you apply GVerb, then it is easy to go back to it. You can also set the volume of that track to zero to hear just the GVerb'ed sound or vice versa.

Rhys

I've not used Audacity, so apologies in advance if this makes no sense...

I've been wondering if you can install different types of effects in Audacity (something that you can do as a matter of course in the higher end recording programmes). I looked at the feature list for the latest Audacity download (v2.0.3) and it said it could use VST effect plugins. There's a set of free plugins that I used to use for a number of years that are still available, so I installed audacity on my laptop, installed the plugins, and it seems to work fairly nicely. Here's what I did:

• Install the latest version of Audacity (may work with earlier versions, but I used the latest one):
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  • Install the free plugins (they are the "Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series" series of effects, there's a usable reverb, EQ, compressor and delay, as well some others)
    http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm (click on the link for "Kjaerhus Classic Installer", the first download)
  • Run Audacity, click on "Edit" on the menu bar, then select "preferences" from the drop down menu.
  • Click on effects from the list on the left, and then click on the box to the left of "Rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started"
  • Click on "ok", then close Audacity, and restart it.
  • All being well (!), if you click on "Effect" on the menu bar, near the bottom you should now see a group of options that start "Kjaerhus Audio: Classic...", one of which is the reverb.
  • When you bring up the reverb, you should be able to load some presets, or tweak your own settings, and click the preview button to hear what it sounds like.
It works on my laptop, hopefully it will on yours, and give you a usable reverb. As I say, I used this collection of plugins pretty much exclusively for quite a while, and I still use the reverb occasionally.

Tim

Nice one Timbo... Works on mine and with a bundle of presets it is simple :)

The reverb can work rather well but it takes lots of testing out.Use the preview button to save time.

Doesn't work on 1.2.6, the rescan isn't there. Guess who's just started an upgrade.

Me too. Too late to try it with any instruments tonight. Experimenting whistling a tune and adding effects lol.

the kjaerhus effects are excellent - the limiter is the one I use for all my mastering projects, although I use it in cubase. Now audacity has a mixer, you can apply reverb to a copy of a track at %100 and then mix between the dry uneffected track and the wet reverbed track to get the right amount of reverb. Unless you're after a Jan Garbarek type thng, I'd avoid using more than 0.5 seconds of reverb time, getting seduced by too much reverb is an easy mistake to make - we've all done it - but it'll sound more natural with less reverb, particularly if you're mixing your playing in with a backing track. If you are using a backing track you have to consider whether you want it to sound like you're playing in a large concert hall while the rhythm section are in a dead sounding room. Of course you may want it to sound that way, it's your music, i'm just offering advice

Well Audacity is now up to date and the effects are installed and visible. No time to play last night.

Thanks a bundle with your instructions the technophobe has got it installed whooopeee all I have to do now is learn how to use it,thanks again.....John

Ps I think that's the first time I've got something to work first time Yipeeee

Nice one Timbo... Works on mine and with a bundle of presets it is simple :)

Thanks from me too, Timbo.

I've just downloaded and installed the Kjaerhus effects. A quick test with the reverb on various of the available presets has been interesting. I am really loving the 'Vocal Ambient' setting which seems to be perfect for my saxophone sound. So much easier for me than messing around with the parameters in Audacity's own GVerb.

Rhys