support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Upgrading Yamaha 4c mpc

Perera

Locality
SE London
Hi Guys!

I know there are lots of threads about mpcs on here which I have been trawling through with interest, but was wondering if anyone has any experience of what may work well with my current set up?

Alto, Yamaha280, vandoren traditional 3 reeds, bg l10 ligature. I've been considering a selmer s80 c* but wondering if there are others which merit consideration before I take the plunge?

Thank you!

what's wrong with the yamaha piece?

Or put another way, what do you want that the Yamaha doesn't give you?

I've been considering a selmer s80 c* but wondering if there are others which merit consideration before I take the plunge?

If just you play classical music, S80C* it is a sort of industry standard.
If you aim to something else, you have to "imagine" the sound you want and start from there.

All depends on the sound you want to make, and your budget. Several of us who have been discussing the Yamaha 4C find it a little free of character. If you want a more characterful jazz type sound then I'd highly recommend the Runyon 22 - Charlie Parkers original mouthpiece, made by one of his initial teachers Santy Runyon - available at sax.co.uk and ±East Coast Wind at about £36. Also the Windcraft Etude Alto mouthpiece from Dawkes at £49.95 - it has a Meyer "G" Vibe which is more West Coast Cool Jazz. For a solid Rock, Blues Pop sound I think that the Bari Esprit II is quite superb and only costs £14 from Ackerman music and John Packer - I have tried it on a Yamaha YAS 275 and it calms down the bright sound very well and was more enjoyable than the 4C which I also tried. For classical I'd recommend a Clark Fobes Debut (Kev wouldn't BTW, but Saxnik would!) and Clark himself plays it with a Vandoren Traditional reed. It can be found at Howarth of London at £36. If you want a slight upgrade without great expense then they are all worth it and I have played/owned all of them.

Beyond that it would be useful to specifically know what sort of sound you are looking for as there are many mouthpieces out there, and a trial may be necessary if you are going to be spending more of your hard earned cash.
Hope this helps.

Tom:thumb:

TM, you're putting words into my mouth - and I've never tried a Clark Fobes...

One alto mouthpiece that doesn't get the recommendations it deserves is the Selmer Soloist. But I do prefer the Morgan to the Selmer.

One alto mouthpiece that doesn't get the recommendations it deserves is the Selmer Soloist. But I do prefer the Morgan to the Selmer.

At the moment I am messing around with the Pillinger version of it. It plays really in tune, and it seems to have a lot more flexibility, compared with the SA80. I do not know about the new Selmer ones.

At the moment I am messing around with the Pillinger version of it. It plays really in tune, and it seems to have a lot more flexibility, compared with the SA80. I do not know about the new Selmer ones.

I've got a Pillinger and a new Selmer. Apart from tip opening, differences are close to zero. I should sell both, but you never now when you're going to want them again.

Best thing I found was to take my Saxophone to sax.co.uk (or any music shop near you that has a range of mouthpieces) and ask to try out a bunch of them. Or, if you know what you want, give them a bell first and see if they have it or anything like it. It'll give you a much better idea of what you want and hey, you never know, you might even walk out of the shop with the mouthpiece love of your life :)

TM, you're putting words into my mouth - and I've never tried a Clark Fobes...

You heard the recordings which Saxnik did and preferred the Yamaha to the Clark Fobes, which you placed equal with the Selmer S80. You placed your comments on the relevant thread.

One of my mouthpieces is the Mouthpiece Cafe which is based on a Short Shank Selmer Soloist - sounds really good.

I did, you're right. I'd forgotten about that, sorry!

You heard the recordings which Saxnik did and preferred the Yamaha to the Clark Fobes, which you placed equal with the Selmer S80. You placed your comments on the relevant thread.

One of my mouthpieces is the Mouthpiece Cafe which is based on a Short Shank Selmer Soloist - sounds really good.

Hi Kev!

I can send you one for a free trial if you are interested (quite serious suggestion).......................:thumb:

Kind regards
TM

Thanks everyone. What's 'wrong' with the 4c is that there's nothing 'wrong' with it. It's just quite 'nice'. I'm still quite a newbie and enjoying experimenting with all kinds of music so I guess I'm just looking for something with a bit more character that's an all-rounder for the moment - unless I should wait until I know more about an overall direction?

I think going into the store with the sax is a fab suggestion. Last time I went in there and asked, I was told that I should consider a link or a meyer as a general all-rounder. What do people think?

I've been advised that the Selmer S80s are probably best for classical only - is that true too?

I own none of the three that you mention, happily. I would far rather have a Bari Esprit II for general all round use (seriously), and buy 5 bottles of malt whisky with the savings!

But don't just take my word for it:

Kingsleyhk

Thanks

Re: what mouthpiece?

"Bari Esprit II mouthpiece for the alto arrived today, from Ackerman in the UK. Very prompt service from them - ordered on Sept 1 - a Saturday - and here in Hong Kong just over a week later.

Played it a bit tonight (lip still a bit iffy after the session yesterday) and it really is excellent. Very strong tone and very even intonation all over the sax.

I just ordered the tenor version as well – same price."

SAXPA

Thanks

Re BARI ESPRIT

"Thanks Tom

Received the Bari Esprit this morning so thought i'd give it a quick blow for 10 mins, dont really know what i expected from this MP but it sure as hell surprised me with what i got.

Playing it against my- Semer s80 c**, Meyer 5m, and Rico metalite.

Reeds- Vandoren no2.5 blue box, Rico select jazz 2m , Hemke no2 and Legere studio cut no2

Ligature- Rovner dark, Rovner light and a 2 screw metal

result was firstly my 10 mins turned into 2 hours- i tried various combinations of reed and lig but found myself coming back to the Hemke, and Legere reeds and the rovner light lig. I was amazed at the flexibility of this mp it can be pushed when needed and can still be very expressive .

I would say for classical it more than holds its own against the £100.00 Selmer c**,which is my main mp

for Jazz etc its not a Meyer but I actually prefer the sound i got out of the Bari ,but that could be just me.

To summarise for classical /blues i found the Bari on par or maybe slightly better than the selmer using the Hemke reed and rovner light lig.
for jazz i would also choose the Bari usig the Legere reed and rovner light lig, i have my lesson tonight so i will also get my teachers opinion and will let you know her thoughts on it, i am certainly impressed with what is actually classed as a student MP so it looks like i will be buying one of these ASAP.
ps used on my mauriat Le Bravo.

once again cheers Tom"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Selmer S80 has about as much character as the 4C.

If you want something really ballsy, consider a Runyon smoothbore. Maybe with the spoiler.

Nothing wrong with the Meyers, either. The're probably the definitive alto sound.

Links are less popular on alto than tenor, and on both people often find them stuffy.

But you really need to hear the pieces yourself as you play them... And also realise that as you play your sound will develop - and that the middle of the road mouthpieces that are flexible will give you a wider range of tones than the extreme mouthpieces.

The Selmer S80 has about as much character as the 4C.

If you want something really ballsy, consider a Runyon smoothbore. Maybe with the spoiler.

Nothing wrong with the Meyers, either. The're probably the definitive alto sound.

Links are less popular on alto than tenor, and on both people often find them stuffy.

But you really need to hear the pieces yourself as you play them... And also realise that as you play your sound will develop - and that the middle of the road mouthpieces that are flexible will give you a wider range of tones than the extreme mouthpieces.

Thanks. Yes, middle of the road sounds about rig as I am still very much developing! Which do you consider middle of the road?

I own none of the three that you mention, happily. I would far rather have a Bari Esprit II for general all round use (seriously), and buy 5 bottles of malt whisky with the savings"

Well, when you put it like that - though I'm far more into fine wine! ;}

Sounds like this could be what I'm after - as per kevgermany too - middle of the road that I can play both classical and jazz on NHL I develop more direction. For the price I think it's worth a try. Going to look where stocks them.

They can be found here: http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/bari-esprit-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece.html and also at John Packer.

On the subject of Meyer mouthpieces this is an example of why lots of mouthpiece makers develop alternative models: http://www.phil-tone.com/alto/the-custom-meyer .

There are a well designed mouthpiece which are currently made at lower quality by the the JJ Babbitt co. which owns the rights. They usually have a brighter sound and are more suited to jazz.

Kind regards
Tom

If you don't like the Bari I'll happily buy it off you............

Thanks. Yes, middle of the road sounds about rig as I am still very much developing! Which do you consider middle of the road?

My very personal opinion:
Bari Esprit (that I haven't tried) could be an inexpensive improvement, and a good way for you to start exploring new sounds.

The ideal "middle of the road" alto piece would be a Meyer...

BUT

Modern Meyers are quite inconsistent, you might find a good one but I recommend other makers that produce "Meyer like" pieces with better results.

My favourite is Pillinger. He is London based and his NYA is superb. Morgan Fry, Cafe Saxophone, Aizen, Jody Jazz HR, Phil Tone.... can be alternatives.

Keep in mind differences in price.

By "Cafe Saxophone" do you mean "Mouthpiece Cafe (NY Cafe Bros)"?!
The best Meyers are just not made by Meyer!

Kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom