support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Upgrading mouthpiece

Really enjoyed that. When you compare it to our normal listening, it really shows what a wide range of sounds a sax can make and still sound beautiful.

If you want that sort of sound with a Selmer, the Soloist, not S80 is more likely to deliver.

But one thing I've found with the PPT mouthpieces is that they're very flexible/have a wide tonal pallette. This may be a better bet than the Selmer. It may also be worth contacting Ed Pillinger in London. He makes a range of excellent mouthpieces and could either customise one or make one to suit.

Last edited:
Before you make a decision I urge you to have a listen to the music and more particularly the sound of Gilad Atzmon and the Orient House Ensemble.

If you play alto and like the sound he gets then I think you would do well to call or message Morgan Frye. He made Gilad's mouthpiece and is a very approachable figure. I suspect going with the pieces you are looking at may not give you the breadth of sound palette you may need to get the sound you want.

Before you make a decision I urge you to have a listen to the music and more particularly the sound of Gilad Atzmon and the Orient House Ensemble.

If you play alto and like the sound he gets then I think you would do well to call or message Morgan Frye. He made Gilad's mouthpiece and is a very approachable figure. I suspect going with the pieces you are looking at may not give you the breadth of sound palette you may need to get the sound you want.
Maybe a Phil-Tone Novella would work. It has a bit of a Kenny Garrett vibe to it, which is quite eastern in its flavour.

@oudai - The search for the "perfect" mouthpiece is not a quick one. After listening to those excellent Youtube clips, my feeling is that you may eventually (in a year or two) want to play a mouthpiece with a wide tip opening in order to make it easier to bend the pitch, and that you may want a mouthpiece that is less smooth than a Selmer S80. You say in another thread that you are a beginner and that you are using a Vandoren 1.5 reed on your Yamaha 4c mouthpiece. So I think it is unlikely that your next mouthpiece will be the one that you will be playing in a few years time.

I am not an expert, but my advice would be to consider a Yamaha 5c mouthpiece as a next step. I think this would be a bit darker than your 4c and it is cheaper than a Selmer. But if you really want a hard rubber mouthpiece then I think a Selmer S80 C* would be fine.

When you change to a wider tip opening, you may want to go down half a unit in reed strength at the start.

A wider tip opening with a soft reed will give you the flexibility to achieve the pitch bend you'll need to play this style imo. Maybe a high baffle piece would give you the nasal tone you need. The guy in the first video seems to be playing a metal Link. This might give you the soundscape you're looking for at a fraction of the price of a Selmer piece.

Alto Saxophone Metal No 7 Mouthpiece by Gear4music | eBay

I play like them ,,their style ,,, because I am from Easter regoion ,,, I play also ( Qanoun ) google it guys ,,, It;s the best instrument that we play at all ...

but I am taking here about the darker tone or brighter and the sizes ,,,

by the way thanks a lot for your support ^_^

Is this a daft question ? maybe ;)
Have you tried playing a slightly harder reed on your 4C mouthpiece ?
Since you've only been playing for 4 months (what does that mean ? How many hours a day ?)
I reckon that after 4 months there's no way your embouchure is going to be well enough developed.
Bottom line is: You've gotta pay yer dues, you have to put the time in.
To my mind a more open mouthpiece may not be the answer.
Altissimo put it in a nutshell:
I think it's more to do with how you play rather than what you play
Wise words.

Last edited:
Is this a daft question ? maybe ;)
Have you tried playing a slightly harder reed on your 4C mouthpiece ?
Since you've only been playing for 4 months (what does that mean ? How many hours a day ?)
I reckon that after 4 months there's no way your embouchure is going to be well enough developed.
Bottom line is: You've gotta pay yer dues, you have to put the time in.
To my mind a more open mouthpiece may not be the answer.
Altissimo put it in a nutshell:

Wise words.

by the way I spend almost between 6 to 8 hours a day for playing ...

I too have a Selmer S80 C* (1.7mm tip opening) bought with the saxophone (a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II) back in 2002. Initially upgraded in 2005 to a Meyer 6M (1.mm). Having interrupted playing between 2006 & last month :(, I daringly bought a Selmer Soloist D (1.9mm) to motivate me a month ago. Great mouthpiece, a revelation! Playing La Voz Med/Hard and D'Addario Select Jazz 3s reeds, a tat softer than the Ricco Royal 3. And the Soloist won't break the bank ;)