All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Upcoming first gig with sax

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
Took the sax to band rehearsal for the first time this week. Cue plenty of supportive, nurturing comments such as "Hope you can play that better than the guitar", "Which end do you blow down", and "Why has Tim got a trombone" (from our drummer...'nuff said).

We spent about quarter of an hour messing about with a bit of Madness, which we all enjoyed and said we'd have to learn properly, then got on with the "proper rehearsal" of indie/rock that we normally play.

Thought no more about it until this morning, when our band Facebook page suddenly sprouted a photo of me "saxing it up" at rehearsal (I didn't know any photo had been taken), with a promise to everyone that all would be revealed at our gig in St Neots next Friday.

It would appear that I have less than a week to learn how to play One Step Beyond properly, because the rest of the band have enthusiastically (read: sadistically) decided that we're going to do it whether I'm ready or not. I stopped getting nerves at gigs a long time ago, but I have to say I do feel a little bit apprehensive!

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
It'll be fine. Just remember to drink 10 pints of bitter before starting.

Works for me.

TimboSax

Subscriber
@Nick: 10 pints? I'm not cutting down for no-one...;}

@Brian & Navarro: Thanks, I'm sure it will be a giggle if nothing else!

Kath

Good luck - you'll be amazing. To even be able to contemplate going live is amazing

TimboSax

Subscriber
Thanks Kath. I'm playing my guitar for most of the gig, so that'll be fine, but we're thinking this little bit of madness will either start the second set or be the final encore. I'm half looking forward to it as a new challenge, but also half thinking I'm an idiot :w00t:

Davey, I shall try to do justice to my big horn :shocked:

dooce

The only difficult bits about One Step Beyond are getting the rhythm section to remember the songs structure, and getting them to slow down for the end. You'll be fine - good luck with it.

Fraser Jarvis

Make shure you get the "rolling fall" (not shure of the proper musical term) right at bar's 36 & 37 so many players play the rest of the song well but either fluff this bit or change it for something else.

TimboSax

Subscriber
The only difficult bits about One Step Beyond are getting the rhythm section to remember the songs structure, and getting them to slow down for the end. You'll be fine - good luck with it.
With my band, getting them to remember any song's structure is a challenge ;}

TimboSax

Subscriber
Make shure you get the "rolling fall" (not shure of the proper musical term) right at bar's 36 & 37 so many players play the rest of the song well but either fluff this bit or change it for something else.
I know the bit you mean, and I was rather planning on changing it for something simpler AND fluffing it at the same time. :D

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
To be serious: practice your articulation and just be in the rhythm. Won't matter what notes you play as long as you punch out the rhythm and play like you mean it. Use as nasty a tone as you can as this hides the fact that you aren't playing notes that might fit. All feeling and rhythm.

Kath

use it to start your second set - if it goes down really well you've still got half a set to play with - it'll be great

TimboSax

Subscriber
Thanks Wade. I'm already going to cheat by staying in the low octave to make it easier to play and, because I'm not any good yet, I'll be 'approximating' the hard bits (the very ones that Travis mentions above). I'll be able to play them properly in the future, but not for Friday. In my experience not many ofthe audience will notice :)

TimboSax

Subscriber
Kath, I'm actually leaning towards the encore, as everyone will be more, er, relaxed by then :)

TimboSax

Subscriber
Well, we had band practice last night, and we sounded pretty good :D

I have moved on from slightly nervous to "bring it on" :D

Profusia

Good luck mate - I really envy you. And your fellow band members did just what you needed to get you started with a short deadline to practice. Knock 'em dead!

TimboSax

Subscriber

We whizzed through it twice (which means we have now played it a grand total of, er, two times), and it sounded good enough for rock'n'roll. The Rivermill doesn't know what's going to hit it tomorrow night!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom