All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Unusual item...

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
On Thursday we had the Christmas concert for the beginners' and community orchestras - I play sax in the first and cello in the second.

The MD is a teacher so a number of his protégés had solo slots.

One very interesting one featured a female vocalist who accompanied herself on guitar with a folk-style violin solo accompaniment and.... first time I've seen or hear one... a bass banjo.

The trio was very good.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Wimbledon used to be and might still be, home to the Aston, a banjo orchestra. Instrumentation was pitched the same symphonic orchestras and they played from the same scores.

Me? Old time and some Granpa Jones.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Modern tennis racquets don't look like that.

I feel gas coming on..... Oh no Mrs S has left the building.

Me? Bluegrass and Celtic.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Yes - it was about the size of the photo above, but it was supported on a spike, like a cello.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I'm not sure if they're one of the most splendid instruments on earth, or closer to being an abomination. Either way, I would find room in the inn if it knocked on the door.

ScottArmstrong

I think Banjos are a misunderstood instrument. I was at a holiday party last week and our "entertainer" wowed us with his antique banjo from the 30's (he also had a Lowry organ). It's really an amazing instrument--really just a drum merged with a guitar. His was beautiful as well--gold (plated or colored?) metal frame with a clear skin.

old git

Tremendous Bore
You can spend longer setting up a banjo than either of Mr Sax's two famous inventions, the 'phone and the 'horn.

There's the skin, vellum or plastic, if so what weight and pressure (Vellum has to be adjusted according to temperature and humidity): bridge, height, weight, lined and angle: tone ring, shape, metal and fitting: the body, material, thickness: arm, angle, fret material and shape: strings, nylon, steel, catgut, plain or wrapped, various weights: how picked, claw hammer, up picked, three finger nail, three finger picks, metal or plastic, plectrums metal, plastic or tortoise shell: tailpiece, material, style.

Let's not forget the gadgets like Scruggs pegs and other forms of tuners:fifth string capos, pegs, blocks or slide: mutes, various.

Omissions will be corrected by Andy.

Andrew Sanders

You can spend longer setting up a banjo than either of Mr Sax's two famous inventions, the 'phone and the 'horn.

There's the skin, vellum or plastic, if so what weight and pressure (Vellum has to be adjusted according to temperature and humidity): bridge, height, weight, lined and angle: tone ring, shape, metal and fitting: the body, material, thickness: arm, angle, fret material and shape: strings, nylon, steel, catgut, plain or wrapped, various weights: how picked, claw hammer, up picked, three finger nail, three finger picks, metal or plastic, plectrums metal, plastic or tortoise shell: tailpiece, material, style.

Let's not forget the gadgets like Scruggs pegs and other forms of tuners:fifth string capos, pegs, blocks or slide: mutes, various.

Omissions will be corrected by Andy.
All present and correct, Sir. Just add talent and time and you've got the whole package. Plunk plunk!

I must pick your brains about your Old time repertoire,technique and set up. But not now, I've got my VAT returns to attend to.

Colin the Bear

My Tenor Banjo came over from Romania in the 90's. Plastic skin, A big bolt holding the neck on the pan to adjust the angle /tension. Four strings tuned in fifths. Two finger chords. Weighs a ton. Love it.

Andrew Sanders

Good grief, looks like we've got the start of a banjo orchestra here.

Colin the Bear, the old curmudgeon OG and Sanders of the River Wharfe.
SushiDushi should have already placed an order for the bass model.
Anyone else got a plunky in the loft? What about you Lancashire boys, any George Formby Tribute Acts?

Should be ready for parties, weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and funerals in the New Year.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I think I'd like a ukulele banjo too. I'll be taking care of the extreme ends in the band.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom