support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Unique pedantry

It's true, traditionally, unique cannot be modified. Like the word virgin, there are not degrees, either you are or you aren't. But years of abuse of the word has actually made terms like almost unique part of the language as she is spoke, so we have to accept that.

In this case though, although modesty would make me argue I am not a great player, merely a playe. It is not unique for a player to conceive of a saxophone. Take Peter Ponzol for example.

It's true, traditionally, unique cannot be modified. Like the word virgin, there are not degrees, either you are or you aren't. But years of abuse of the word has actually made terms like almost unique part of the language as she is spoke, so we have to accept that.

In this case though, although modesty would make me argue I am not a great player, merely a playe. It is not unique for a player to conceive of a saxophone. Take Peter Ponzol for example.

I think we're all agreed you're unique, Pete....

In general, as noted earlier, some words are rather binary in nature and unique is one of them (as is virgin): something either is unique, or it isn’t, there are no degrees of uniqueness.
I know that in everyday usage, people do modify it e.g. “That was rather unique...” but it gets my inner grammar pedant mode twitching...
Don’t get me started on the misuse of ‘disinterested’ to mean ‘uninterested’ and vice versa...

Back
Top Bottom