support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Unbranded Saxophone? Help Indentifying

mcamphr

Looking at a used saxophone in a thrift store - can't tell what mfg it is.

It is silver in appearance and looks to be an Alto - has some decorative engraving on the horn and a stamp on the back of the horn "SG 2515"

Any thoughts?

They are asking 120.00 for the sax -

Photos might help.

Can't say I've ever heard of it. Could be a big name, might be obscure junk. Photos/an expert opinion are the best way forward, unless someone happens to recognise the inscription you've mentioned. If it plays, it's probably worth the price. If you're lucky there'll be a mouthpiece with it, which may also have some value.

[ADMIN EDIT: duplicates removed]

Sorry about the links - I'll work on those

sax 3.jpg
sax 5.jpg
20140114_133505.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks typically Chinese to me.
How does it play?
Some of the fittings are very similar to the Buffet 100/400....
Guard feet; Bow protector; Bow to body/bell clamps; Thumbrest; Bell brace flange......

P6050756a.JPG

PB242933.JPG

I think it`s a Bently Selmer serie II Clone. One of the 1st batch of cheapo Chinese Horns. If you look on the Bell it may have a faint small " B " engraved just above the Low B flat hole. I`ve got a Silver Plated Tenor with a serial LSG 1072 not too far away from your Alto. For what it`s worth I paid £400 for mine new in 2004 and I`ve Tweaked it into shape with new adjustment material and replaced the neck with another Generic Selmer Clone neck. I`ve compared it to my Conn-Selmer Prelude Alto and it`s as well built as that. You can hear a clip of it here on this track with the stock neck which was out of tune a bit. $120 is about right if it works as you can make it better.

https://soundcloud.com/cliveyx/georgia-iotm

Heres another interesting link from a guy in the states sorry it`s a tenor again.

Last edited:
I see these unnamed horns and think "It`ll be lucky if its Chinese , it could be Indian" but then it looks far better made than the Indian ornaments ... The reason why it shares a lot of features with your Buffet David is because it`s no doubt based on the SA80 as Clive suggests

I agree, this is a bog standard Selmer clone made in China, priced more or less the way one would expect for this horn and in need, at the very least, a good tweak which will cost some more money too if OP can’t do it himself ( and if he needs to ask this kind of question he or she is probably not able to fix saxophones ).

So if it plays well, and I would have my concerns about this, buy, if it doesn’t you might want to ask yourself whether it is worth to invest any money in a no name saxophone which might never be worth the money it has costed or needs.

I agree, this is a bog standard Selmer clone made in China, priced more or less the way one would expect for this horn and in need, at the very least, a good tweak which will cost some more money too if OP can’t do it himself

It could easily cost more than the value of the horn to put it in good order, it may end up costing more than a brand new Jericho.

It could easily cost more than the value of the horn to put it in good order, it may end up costing more than a brand new Jericho.

Which is why I wrote

So if it plays well, and I would have my concerns about this, buy, if it doesn’t you might want to ask yourself whether it is worth to invest any money in a no name saxophone which might never be worth the money it has costed or needs.

Back
Top Bottom