support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz Uh-huh...

Thanks. It's the first time I've really enjoyed listening to him.
Marsalis does play a strange mix of full-on skronk and beautiful classical-influenced ballads. There's always a couple on each album, but you have to wade through the more difficult stuff to get to them.

From "Songs of Mirth and Melancholy"

Bearley unlikeable....Come on' Maan! Mr Marsalis raves about your latest live studio clip:rofl: Please DO listen to it again! ;->

I think you have a valid point there, it's easy to take ourselves too seriously.
Sometimes the well known players including Kenny G ( who gets a lot of critcisim from players that can only lick his boots) are so far ahead of what we can achieve ourselves we lose the plot. I think that's why, when I practice a lot, I think I'm rubbish.
“If you think you know everything; you know nothing. If you think you know nothing; you know something.”

With this video he is back among my favourites (after a seriously disappointing concert in the 90s I attended)

I rather like Branford Marsalis (11 albums worth). The only niggle I have is that his tone could do with a bit more edge for my tastes.

We all know he needs a different mouthpiece.

I think you have a valid point there, it's easy to take ourselves too seriously.
Sometimes the well known players including Kenny G ( who gets a lot of critcisim from players that can only lick his boots) are so far ahead of what we can achieve ourselves we lose the plot. I think that's why, when I practice a lot, I think I'm rubbish.
“If you think you know everything; you know nothing. If you think you know nothing; you know something.”

On the other hand, I defend the right of not liking some music/literature/drama/art regardless of my ability of doing the same. I even defend the right of not liking John Coltrane, go figure.

My favourite quote is from Chet Baker: if I could play like *** I would not play like ***

With this video he is back among my favourites (after a seriously disappointing concert in the 90s I attended)

We all know he needs a different mouthpiece.

On the other hand, I defend the right of not liking some music/literature/drama/art regardless of my ability of doing the same. I even defend the right of not liking John Coltrane, go figure.

My favourite quote is from Chet Baker: if I could play like *** I would not play like ***

So black and white. i like, i dont like. I defend my right. mmmmm. really?

Are they called boot lickers? Im trying my best to give up this defensive "Boot Licker" mentality:confused:

Last edited:
You can't always trace back your decision to do something to one particular moment, but I do know I decided to buy a soprano sax after seeing this:

http://youtu.be/bvKYSX46Idk

Try and ignore Monsieur le Sting and his panatalons de cuir and just listen to the solo from Marsalis. I even commissioned that guy from saxsolos.com to transcribe it so now it is available for you all. (Have I been able to play it? Let's just pass over that one in silence...)

Watching this video made me think back to when I first heard Sting and Branford play on the Dream of the Blue Turtles album. I was 16 I think. I had no idea what a soprano sax was, but it was Branford's playing that gave the album it's class and hint-of-jazz style. I still listen to it now (just skip the 6th form politics like "Russians"). It feels almost spooky to look back and realise that, now age 44 and playing soprano sax, that early influence was lurking around in the background all those years. Perhaps only now was the right time...

Back
Top Bottom