supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Tuning

Bude Bill

Bought myself a KORG DT-4 tuner. I am told that if I play "C" on my Alto. I should see "Eb" on the tuner. Well I'm bu^"*&"d if it does. Keeps showing "D".

Tried moving the mpc out and in but no change.

My playing sounds alright to me and others who have listened. But?

Young Col

I recently bought a Korg CA30 tuner. It does have some adjustment for instruments major and minor thirds away from concert C but I haven't worked out how to do it yet (the instructions aren't exactly in clear English...). However, it doesn't matter much as it's good to remember the transpositions for Eb alto to concert C. I find I am never that much out. A bit flat at the lower end but never as much that the tuner shows the adjacent note. A bit sharp at the top end as well and it seems that lots of altos show a big jump to sharp going up at the octave break. Again not as much as as an adjacent tone though. Does sound like an embouchure issue, unless, indeed you haven't got it set to 440Hz for concert A.
Colin

OP
Bude Bill

Bude Bill

Re-Tuning

Yes, I have tried various frequency settings, but have returned to 440Hz as it was set at the beginning.

Whether or not my "lip" is as practiced as it should be is another matter. I'll keep trying.

Am I correct in that a "C" should produce an "Eb" at 440Hz?

Phil Edwards

How you doing on some other notes? You might be particularly out of pitch on that note. Does it show C when you play an A, or A when you play F# (in all octaves) ?

Phil

Young Col

Bill, I was going to say exactly what Phil and Kev said. Check it all the way up. It's on Pete's main site, but as a quick ref:
A= C concert
Bb=Db
B=D
C=Eb
C#=E
D=F
Eb=F#
E=G
F=Ab
F#=A
G=Bb
Ab=B

During my own alto practice today I found I was a bit sharp or flat at various points as mentioned previously. However, I could not blow it up or down to an adjacent note.
Colin

AndyB

Mouthpiece compatibility issue?

Bill, I've had people flatly tell me that it is impossible but I know without a doubt that on my tenor a vintage Tonalin mpc that I own plays exactly a half-step higher than my new Link. Same position on the cork, same reed, same person, same time, same embouchure, same tuner, over the whole range. I've tested it over and over. And like you, I'm not talking a little bit - but an entire semitone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bude Bill

Bude Bill

Cracked it

Thanks for all your help and comments. I do believe I have finally solved it.

How I do not know, but I decided to take a deep breath and play the longest "C" I could manage. At first it came up "D" as usual and then flipped to "Eb". Now it won't show anything else. So I call that a victory.

Have printed off all your answers for future ref. Ta!

AndyB

Thanks for all your help and comments. I do believe I have finally solved it.

How I do not know, but I decided to take a deep breath and play the longest "C" I could manage. At first it came up "D" as usual and then flipped to "Eb". Now it won't show anything else. So I call that a victory.

Have printed off all your answers for future ref. Ta!
Weird. Did you hear of feel anything like a stuck key snapping back free?

Top Bottom