All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner tuning

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I like to tune low F# - (A on the tuner), then check F# with the octave key. That gives me a good starting point to play the other notes in tune by listening and adjusting.

Iorwerth.jones1888

I like to tune low F# - (A on the tuner), then check F# with the octave key. That gives me a good starting point to play the other notes in tune by listening and adjusting.

Does this mean I need to set the transpostion on the tuner to A? Maybe a silly question but I'm a total beginner.

Thanks..

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Does this mean I need to set the transpostion on the tuner to A? Maybe a silly question but I'm a total beginner.

Thanks..

No, set the transposition on the tuner to the pitch of the sax, Eb for alto, Bb for tenor. The tuner then shows the sax note, not concert note - so in JBT's example, the tuner will show F# instead of A.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Maybe a silly question but I'm a total beginner.

Thanks..

Don't worry about questions like this, they're not silly, more us for not being clear. You won't get shot down for it here, we try to be a helpful bunch.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Don't worry about questions like this, they're not silly, more us for not being clear. You won't get shot down for it here, we try to be a helpful bunch.
Agree with Kev - there are no silly questions. We were all beginners once and as a beginner there is loads of stuff that at this stage you won't even know that you don't know! Let alone the stuff that you know you don't know!!

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Agree with Kev - there are no silly questions. We were all beginners once and as a beginner there is loads of stuff that at this stage you won't even know that you don't know! Let alone the stuff that you know you don't know!!

Very Rumsfeldian

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
The transposition screen in the app should look like this:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378353722615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378353722615.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 53

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
Very Rumsfeldian

Actually, it's not really Donald Rumsfeld's theory. He "borrowed" an old learning theory called "JoHari's Window", from two American psychologists Joseph Luft and Harrington Ingham (Jo and Hari) which was developed in 1955. Rumsfeld also made a bit of a "pig's ear" of trying to explain it.

JoHari's window is basically divided into four areas of understanding:

1. Things we know that we know.
2. Things we know that we don't know.
3. Things we don't know that we know.
4. Things we don't know that we don't know.

I still don't know how to play middle Bb (window 2) and I definitely know I'll never be as good as Coltrane. (Window 1).

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
It's not that old (compared to some of us)! I did though used to use it on management training courses to explain about perceptions of ourselves and how others perceive us.

The four panes of the window are called
Open (things about us that are known to us and others)
Blind (information about us that others know but we do not)
Hidden (information we know about oursleves but do not disclose to others)
Unknown (things about ourselves that neither we nor others know)

It can explain why we don't always know why people react to us in a particular way. Also, information my be moved round the windows. We may choose to put things about ourselves in the free area or we may not. Others may choose to give us feed back about things they see in us - or they may not.

Sorry to digress from the important OP.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The cowboy humorist Will Rogers said, "It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so."

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
It's not that old (compared to some of us)! I did though used to use it on management training courses to explain about perceptions of ourselves and how others perceive us.

I was also born in 1955 (like the theory). Trust me - it feels old! :) I taught psychology at universities to master's degree level, in another life. That really does feel like a long time ago!

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
I also used to lecture on technical/legal matters that were based in legislation dating from 1949, the year I was born. I used to tell people that it was as old as me but it was in much better shape as it had been updated several times.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom