All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Tuning Tenor Sax

Saxissexy

Can anyone help with info on tuning a tenor. I own and play a alto and have a lovely pre-loved Yamaha YTS-23 that I am looking at buying. I am able to tune my alto no worries and now I'm finding a problem with tuning the Tenor.
First of all I am using a Ashton CT-150 chromatic tuner. What I've read so far is that is that If I play D on the alto that should give C on the chromatic tuner set at 440hz. I am getting that on the Tuner. Are there any other notes that I can check.

griff136

.... What I've read so far is that is that If I play D on the alto that should give C on the chromatic tuner set at 440hz. I am getting that on the Tuner. Are there any other notes that I can check

dont you mean if yo play a D on the tenor you get a C on the tuner.

You can test all your notes against a tuner

if D = C (concert pitch) then D# = C#, E = D , etc.

Saxissexy

Thanks Griff, I've got those notes you posted. I am now trying to transpose the rest of the notes to test on the tenor.To transpose the concert pitch note to the tenor note do I go back two semi-tones.

griff136

to transpose the note from concert pitch so it sounds the same in the same octave for Tenor sax you need to go up a ninth.

so concert E ( through the bottom line on the stave) becomes F# (top line of the stave)

if you just need to "know" what note it is then go up a tone.

this book is a handy thing to have http://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-Guide-Mu...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283583921&sr=8-1

and its only around a fiver - you can also find the info online for free somewhere but I personally found the book a great help.

Top Bottom