support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Brass Trumpets......

Interesting. I am tempted to have a go again. I love the sound of the flugel horn and Flugabone (marching trombone - it looks a better shape than the valve trombone) the latter more so than trumpet mainly because trombonists seem thin on the ground on a supply (1 per 30 saxophonists at jazz workshops) and demand (orchestra, brass band, wind band, big band, jazz ensemble etc etc) level.

I'm usually pretty good at trying not to step outside my knowledge area there may be more cobblers in my posting on this topic, stuff I learnt as a kid. I am definitely becoming a conical bore or is it a comical bore?

I'm tempted by trumpet too. I've been for a long time and I do have a couple Yamahas awaiting my serious attention... :rolleyes:

When I last tried I couldn't make a sound that vaguely resembles Trumpet. So I took a mouthpiece to try and practice in the car on on my way to work, but I gave up.

Perhaps I'm a lost cause here. Or I need a proper teacher to get me started...

It's an ideal time to learn new skills! It can take a while to produce your first notes on trumpet. I think everyone can learn and there is plenty of help online so you can succeed.

There is a book called 'Arban' which is ideal for any level of brass musician which is a good starting place.

an ideal time to learn new skills!

If your referring to the lockdown, it's over here in France. I'm back on the road. And during the lockdown I struggled to play sax as my wife hates it. So making horrible sounds with a trumpet would not have been appreciated for it's real value! ;)

With a bit of luck, I'll be home alone (my 17 years old son doesn't count) next week. So I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the encouragement.

While I will always be a saxophone player, more specifically, an alto player, it is fun to learn new instruments. Since my Big Band often plays charts that call for me to play flute, I have been learning that instrument since the beginning of April and I'm making progress.

About 5 weeks ago, I purchased a pCornet just for fun. It came with two plastic mouthpieces so I got the metal versions of them. It's a lot of fun and I am also making progress on that instrument. Very physically demanding. I keep those practices short.

If your referring to the lockdown, it's over here in France. I'm back on the road. And during the lockdown I struggled to play sax as my wife hates it. So making horrible sounds with a trumpet would not have been appreciated for it's real value! ;)

With a bit of luck, I'll be home alone (my 17 years old son doesn't count) next week. So I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the encouragement.
How sad. There are some others on this forum whose significant other hate the instrument they play. I’d be devastated if my husband ‘hated’ my playing. Hate is a strong word. I can’t imagine someone I’m closest with hating something I enjoy so much ; especially when it’s such a creative component and enjoyment in my life. How sad.

I’m also a frugal horn lover. It’s a beautiful instrument. Doesn’t chuck mangeony ( so ) play frugal horn?

I hope I haven’t derailed the thread any more than anyone else here has.
Apologies if that’s the case.

How sad. There are some others on this forum whose significant other hate the instrument they play. I’d be devastated if my husband ‘hated’ my playing. Hate is a strong word. I can’t imagine someone I’m closest with hating something I enjoy so much ; especially when it’s such a creative component and enjoyment in my life. How sad.

I’m also a frugal horn lover. It’s a beautiful instrument. Doesn’t chuck mangeony ( so ) play frugal horn?

I hope I haven’t derailed the thread any more than anyone else here has.
Apologies if that’s the case.

What's a frugal horn? A cheap trumpet...?:rofl:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXDxF1BvlqM

Greg S.

There’s some great replies here!! The trumpet is due to arrive tomorrow but I’m an hour or so away from major dental surgery so I may not get to try it for a day or so.
I believe this is a flugel horn? Lovely sound and a great player. I think this is the direction I would like to go if I take to it. Not your traditional style admittedly, but it just really moved me hearing him play:

View: https://youtu.be/GNx4EbTu10w

Taylor make these -
1593525791419.png
1593525791419.png

Last edited: