support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Trumpet player starting to double on alto sax

HarryH

Locality
Colorado USA
I am a trumpet player wanting to double up on alto saxophone.
I am retired, meaning I have reached the golden years of my life where my job no longer interferes with my music playing.
My youngest son majored in woodwinds with focus on alto and barry sax. He will be my instructor.
Meanwhile I am searching for a saxophone instruction book that is not for beginning but for experienced musicians.
In other words I am looking for an instruction book that ONLY focuses on JUST the mechanics of playing the saxophone without the typical pages of fundamental music theory.

When I learned to play trumpet secondary to saxophone, I used the essentail elements books with success. They are the opposite of what you asked for (intended for the begining student) but whats really nice about them that I found very helpful when trying to learn a new fingering system is that especaily in the begining, they're repetive.

When I learned to play trumpet secondary to saxophone, I used the essentail elements books with success. They are the opposite of what you asked for (intended for the begining student) but whats really nice about them that I found very helpful when trying to learn a new fingering system is that especaily in the begining, they're repetive.
Thank you for your reply. However I am 75 years old. So a short learning time is of the essence.
I’m trying to find a sax method book that leaves out any music theory “clutter”.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Harry

I cannot recommend any books but welcome to the cafe and to the bright side.;)

I cannot recommend any books but welcome to the cafe and to the bright side.;)
Rob, thanks for the welcome.

“ ............ the bright side ..... “

This reminds me of a quote by Irving Bush:

There are two sides to a trumpeter’s personality. There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter’s fury. And then there’s the dark side.

LOL

If you already read music and count rhythms well, your first step could be to get hold of a saxophone fingering chart and learn the "geography" of the instrument. Unfortunately there are many more buttons and keys to push than on a trumpet, but fortunately, unlike the trumpet when you press the right keys you are almost always guaranteed the correct note will come out.

After you have learned all of the fingerings for all of the notes throughout the range of the saxophone, all that is left is to work on proper tone production and to build "technique". For that I would recommend the most widely used method for saxophone which is the Rubank Series. The Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced Book I, and Book II. Working through this series will help you build the technique and mastery of the instrument needed to play just about anything you like. You can work through these methods as quickly as you can with your knowledge of music and while doing so you can pick up some other books at the appropriate difficulty level with the style of music you enjoy playing. Good luck on your journey.

Hello and welcome. Personally I wouldn't start woodwind on saxophone. Too much instrument.

Thanks much for your reply.

........... get hold of a saxophone fingering chart and learn the "geography" of the instrument.......
I indeed did download the fingering charts.

......to work on proper tone production and to build "technique". For that I would recommend the most widely used method for saxophone which is the Rubank Series. The Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced Book I, and Book II...........

Thanks for that recommendation. Meanwhile I already did start to lean into that direction. I use the trumpet Rubank books for my trumpet students.

Good luck on your journey.
Thank you and again thanks for your reply.
Cheers
Harry

I am a trumpet player wanting to double up on alto saxophone.
I am retired, meaning I have reached the golden years of my life where my job no longer interferes with my music playing.
My youngest son majored in woodwinds with focus on alto and barry sax. He will be my instructor.
Just out of curiosity....why Alto as opposed to Tenor ? (which is a Bb therefore reads Bb charts as does a Trumpet).

Is it because you actually prefer the voice of an Alto ? Or is it because your son happens to have more familiarity with the Eb saxes ?

If the former, great.

If the latter...I'd say choose the sax voice which YOU prefer as opposed to the one more familiar to your son. A former student of Alto/Bari should be able to instruct a Tenor player just fine.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new journey.

What’s the possibility your answer the question
I posted.
Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Harry
Can't help you there, mate. I was just simply curious as to why you chose Alto.

Funny thing about public threads on musician chat boards is....oftentimes they tend to turn into conversations ...as opposed to just a log of answers to originally posted questions....

If you haven't been on many and hand around a few for a while , you will notice this aspect.

The Human Condition can be so Multifaceted...and Life so Unexpected at times.:cheers:

Hiyah!
Larry Teal’s The Art of Saxophone Playing - you may need other technique /etude books, but you’ll never “grow out” of this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom