All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

trinity jazz grades exams - aural vs improv option?

fibracell

Just wondering if anyone has done the improv instead of aural tests for the trinity jazz grade exams. The trinity web site only gives examples for grade 1. I'm signed up for grade 7.:shocked:

It'd be good to get some feed back on this option if anyone knows anything

cheers !

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Mandy should know, but may not have done the Improv when she has done her TG exams. I've only done the London College of Music Grades so this is not an option, though writing your own music is. Good luck with Grade 7.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Sorry, I can't assist as I've always done the Aural (not that I'm any good at Aural!)

I'll ask a friend as he is about to do grade 8 and seems the type that might do improv...
what sort of question would you like me to ask him ?

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Hi I've done Trinity Jazz Grade 6 and chose improvisation, there is a choice of 3 prompts that you can choose to use for your improv - chords, rhythm or melody.

fibracell

I'm opting for the improv instead of the aural tests, and really don't know what to expect. The examples on the trinity web site look like more 'traditional' harmony examples rather than jazz harmony, so I'm also wondering about what I can get away with regarding the improv - like making it more blues jazz, or adding more chromatic notes etc..

Exam next month, so I'll know more then!

cheers !

saxplorer

Locality
Surrey, UK
Hi I've done Trinity Jazz Grade 6 and chose improvisation, there is a choice of 3 prompts that you can choose to use for your improv - chords, rhythm or melody.

Hi Arty, what is meant by "prompts" in this context? I can see how fragments of melody could be prompts, but surely you'd need to respect rhythm and chords in any improv?

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Hi Arty, what is meant by "prompts" in this context? I can see how fragments of melody could be prompts, but surely you'd need to respect rhythm and chords in any improv?

The examiner plays them on the piano - a chord progression, or a rhythmic groove, or several notes.

Hi Arty - which did you choose - chords, rhythm or melody?

I chose melody, just a few notes which you get a chance to play around with and then produce an improv from. :thumb:

davidk

Paints With Notes
Locality
Earth
Ah, it's coming back to me now. I did this for grade 8, and chose rhythm. The examiner plays a rhythm, and you play a number of bars based on this rhythm. I did mine over a blues progression. Try and build to a climax, have the solo tell a story. Maybe make the high point a couple of bars before the end, or right at the end if you want a big finish. It only lasts 12 bars, maybe 8 over a different progression. The syllabus should confirm this - I took the exam a few years ago now.

Good luck!

David

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
My friend could not help...he did the aural part!
Just thought I'd let you know.

fibracell

thanks for all the advice...

now I'm torn between the melodic and chordal improv. Have to make a decision soon though !

cheers !

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom