support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tribute Bands At Music Venues

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
If you were to go and see a tribute band at a music venue (rather than a tribute show at a theatre), would you expect there to also be a support band like any other gig or would you just expect the tribute to play for two hours?

Jimmymack

Locality
London
Either. If you could get a tribute support band that would be fun, but unlikely, although an up and coming non tribute band would probably welcome the gig. Otherwise I don’t see why the tribute band can’t do two sets.

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
As a punter , I suppose I would want something in context so perhaps your band playing an alter ego again, say Duran Duran, Soft Cell, ABC or another big hitter from that era. Plenty to choose from . It`s all about nostalgia. A shorter warm up set to set up the vibe

From a pro point of view. You will be diluting your sale if you decide sub-contract. So, if you want to maximise your return , whatever support you did provide should probably be best handled in house,

Far easier also from a technical / logistical POV

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
If you were to go and see a tribute band at a music venue (rather than a tribute show at a theatre), would you expect there to also be a support band like any other gig or would you just expect the tribute to play for two hours?

I guess it depends on whether the original band had enough material to play a two-hour gig.

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
It's not a question of set length (we easily play for 2 hours) per se but rather value for money.
A two-hour gig is a two-hour gig. I don't see why you should expect more just because you focus on one band's music versus a Top 40 group that plays only hits. I see as much (if not more) value in a band that plays two sets of good originals.

If being a tribute band is a draw and you can hold an audience for two hours, then go for it. If not, consider doing two shows for the evening, and take a longer break between them.

Last edited:

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
I'm no expert, but seems to me there are, broadly, two types.of gig - like whisky; "sipping" and "drinking".
A "sipping" gig requires attention; and I for one can't pay proper attention for more than an hour without a break.
A "drinking" gig is folks singing along, dancing, eating, drinking (lit) etc. and I suppose the entertainment has to keep going.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
But what would you hope to see?
A support band in the style or era of the main act. Half hour, on then off

Two hours of the headliner could be challenging for the audience

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
2 45s probably. No other band.

But then I'd never go to see a tribute band. :)

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
But then I'd never go to see a tribute band
As much as I tend to agree, locally there are a couple of youngish guys - piano and voice/geetar - who cover/tribute Tom Waits... They throw themselves 110% in to it. A next gen audience as well. I can't resist going to some of their gigs.

Last edited:

Dave E

Locality
Leicester
I'd expect to see a support band for a very well-known tribute band but wouldn't be disappointed if there was none. If the tribute band was only really known in local areas, I would not expect a support band but would expect the tribute band to play over about a 2 hour period but with a 15 / 20 minute band (and audience) break at the halfway point.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
This may or may not apply depending on the band, but my preference (unless it’s purely for dancing) is that a band plots a show that has a structure that keeps the audience engaged.

I don’t know if there is s specific structure that works for all bands but definitely build up to a big finale.

When you think like this then I find a break in the middle doesn't work too well so I’d always prefer one set.

Otherwise it’s less if a “show” and more like a recital.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
Irrespective of support band or not, I personally prefer to play one long set. However, since I started playing in tribute bands, venues have always asked for 2 x 1 hour sets.

With the Spandau band I've treated the two parts as different sets, so they both have a thread running through them and they both have an ebb and flow feel that ends with a massive crescendo. I looked at each section as being a separate gig rather than one long show with a pause in the middle.

Top Bottom