support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Trevor James Tenor 25th Anniversary The Horn model

QWales

Hi Peeps,

I bloke in my Sax class has one of these and even though he's a beginner, everytime he plays it it makes me think of one of my favourite bands, Pink Floyd. I've been surfing the interweb to see if I can get my hands on one but it looks like they must be pretty rare. Anyone seen one out there?

Cheers,
Mark

I expect the Pink Floyd thing has a lot more to do with what he's playing on it than the sax itself. If I was to play on it, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't remind you of PF, as I don't like them and have listened to very little of their music. It probably wouldn't remind you of any kind of music at all, but that's another matter.

Thanks rudjarl, I did find that one whilst surfing the web. I'm not quite sure why it is still searchable as it was for sale in 2005 I believe.

Uuuppssss, you are right. And it clearly says so on the site too. I'll try putting the spectacles on next time to avoid any spectacle...

Helpful clarification as your communication had the potential to be misunderstood because it had a certain complexity and had to be read quite carefully!

I am another person who never really got into Pink Floyd (or Queen for that matter). I nearly bought a 25th Anniversary Alto sax when I started but realised that it was of Intermediate standard, so got the Ref54 instead. They did look nice though.

Thanks BigMartin, clear now but I would guess as a Senior Member of CafeSaxophone your playing is probably quite memorable. This thought also played a part in my earlier conclusion.

TomMapfomo: Some find statements left open to interpretation as complex, some don’t have the prowess to decipher complexity within hidden meaning (however obvious to others) and see it open to interpretation. Some people can be patronising without knowing it and some who do it knowingly probably shouldn’t bother.

I guess it’s a lot easier to gauge intent once you know someone.

Anyway, sorry to here neither of you like Pink Floyd, if you haven’t already, you should force yourself to listen to the Wish You Were Here album, it’s great. It’s not Charlie P but it is definitely a work of art.

I guess the search for this Tenor Sax is a bit of a non-starter, I’ve spent quite a while trawling the web and there’s nothing out there. I guess I need to get myself down to the odd music shop or two and see if I can find something else that sounds like it and doesn’t cost the price of a small car. With my lack of experience I should think there are probably quite a lot of alternatives I’ve not come across yet. It was just that this was the first one I had herd and seen that sounded really different to the rest.

My wife likes Pink Floyd and we have 7 of their albums at home, including "Wish You Were Here". I was more of a Yes fan in the 70's. I am sure that Charlie P and John C created works which many consider "Works of Art...." also. At the time I enjoyed Stan Getz, Junior Walker and the sax in Roxy Music, Back Door, Van Morrison & The Average White Band before getting into Andy Sheppard and particularly Jan Garbarek on the Sax front.

I do think that BigMartin's earlier comment does make fairly objective sense, though may have encouraged subjective interpretation due to its complexity, which is understandable. Keeping sentences shorter would help (I remember dictating a perfectly logical sentence to my then secretary, who tactfully suggested that the word count of 153 may need some revision!).

Good luck with your search for an alternative Tenor sax.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Anyway, sorry to here neither of you like Pink Floyd, if you haven’t already, you should force yourself to listen to the Wish You Were Here album, it’s great. It’s not Charlie P but it is definitely a work of art.
I like Pink Floyd. I don't like Charlie Parker. There, a bit of balance.

Hey, if you can't find one of these saxes, cast your net wider. There are so many great saxes around these days, I'm sure you'll find something which suits you and the style of music you aspire to. A day out at sax.co.uk would give you the oportunity to try literally hundreds of saxes. I'm sure there'd be something you'd like.

I guess the search for this Tenor Sax is a bit of a non-starter, I’ve spent quite a while trawling the web and there’s nothing out there. I guess I need to get myself down to the odd music shop or two and see if I can find something else that sounds like it and doesn’t cost the price of a small car. With my lack of experience I should think there are probably quite a lot of alternatives I’ve not come across yet. It was just that this was the first one I had herd and seen that sounded really different to the rest.

If you are looking for something that sounds like a TJ horn 25th anniversary model then just get yourself a TJ The Horn tenor it wlll probably have the same spec but just a different finish. It will only however sound the same as the one you heard if you get the guy you heard playing the 25th anniversary sax to play it for you.

I use the same microphone as Celine Dion but I dont sound bugger all like her - thank goodness!

Complex? Me? Surely some mistake...

I think I'm a hopeless case as far as learning to like PF goes. Rock music generally does nothing for me (PF is rock music, right?). I think I was born 50 years too late as far as my taste in music is concerned.

Not a big Charlie Parker fan either as it happens, though he is beginning to grow on me (which I suppose means I am starting to understand him).

And case you're all beginning to think I don't like *anything*. I very much like Bach, Mozart, Stravinsky, Bartok, Bechet, Hawkins, Young, Basie, Ellington, Carter (Benny *and* Elliot), Rollins and many others.

How does understanding a piece/style/genre of music help you like it? Appreciate perhaps, but like? I appreciate Beethoven was a great composer and I can understand why. Doesn't make me like his stuff though.

Oops! This is supposed to be thread about TJ horns. They're ok, I suppose. Wouldn't bother with 'em meself though.

How does understanding a piece/style/genre of music help you like it? Appreciate perhaps, but like? I appreciate Beethoven was a great composer and I can understand why. Doesn't make me like his stuff though.

Well, as far as Charlie Parker is concerned, I didn't mean "understand" on an intellectual or academic level, just that my ear is becoming more attuned to that sort of music. I don't think that's my problem with Pink Floyd, though, I just find them (and just about all rock music post 1960, say) rather dull (sorry!).

I'm afraid I know nothing about TJ horns.